A Delta Bandsaw Ad from the early 1940's

Frank Pellow

I was looking though some New York Herald Tribune magazines of my grandfather's from the early 1940's and found the attached ad:

Delta add from early 1940's.jpg

I think that the add really reflects the era both with the Delta works in 100% war production and with the condescending comment about the machine being so easy to operate that even the gentler sex can manage it .

Last edited:
Very cool, Frank. It looks like she's holding the wood off the table. Either that, or the old Delta table tilted differently than my Shop Fox. :)

Any chance you can get a bigger image of it? It's hard for me to make out the fine print. (I have the tools to help you resize it if necessary, but I'm pretty sure you know all about doing that.)

Very cool, Frank. It looks like she's holding the wood off the table. Either that, or the old Delta table tilted differently than my Shop Fox. :)

Any chance you can get a bigger image of it? It's hard for me to make out the fine print. (I have the tools to help you resize it if necessary, but I'm pretty sure you know all about doing that.)
Here is easier to read text:

delta-text.jpg

Frank, I know some folks that would like to have a copy of that. Would it be possible to get a scan in a higher resolution photo? Maybe just email it to me?

Jeff

I used to work heavy equipment (previous life) and the shop had an old Delta that tilted toward the throat about 10 degrees. I'd forgotten all about it till I saw the pic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the re-post, Frank. It's always fun seeing how copywriters of the past approached the advertising business. :thumb:

From the picture, it looks like the woman is operating it as a scrollsaw. She's not standing where I would stand at a bandsaw. If the tilted table is 'normal' for that saw, you'd have a bevel cut all the time. What am I missing? Or was it the artist that missed something? :dunno:

KC

My thought also, operating like a scrollsaw. The tilting and color picture, I believe, is simply for visual effect for the ad. Any price given? It would be interesting to compare the price to current day dollars.

This reminds me of those old Deltagrams they used to produce in the 40's and 50's. Okay it was way before my time, but my Grandfather gave me a bunch of them. I think I only have one left, but it would explain in detail how to make projects out of a single machine. Its not like it is now where it takes a ton of machines to produce a single project. Oh no. With Deltagrams one tool could do it all, from drill holes with a drill press, to routing with a drill press, to drilling glass with a drill press, to doing lathe work with a drill press, I think you get the idea.

I love the 'gentler sex' comment!

Reminds me of a 1950's TV ad for a tent which is often shown over here on those retrospective compilation shows. A demonstration by a brunette in a swimsuit of the ease of erecting the tent ends with the tag line;

'So simple, even a woman can do it!'

I never know whether to laugh or get nostalgic for simpler times:)

While I would agree in today's context the ad is very condescending and sexist. But if put into context of the era, it was rather progressive marketing. The ad plays to the stereotypes of the day, but provides a socially acceptable opening for a lady to do wood working. I doubt they were attempting to forward women's rights - I suspect the additional sales were the driving force here.:rolleyes: Remember, these guys had a large wartime workforce comprised of many more women on the plant floor than ever before. If these ladies can operate heavy industrial machinery, why not a home shop bandsaw.:thumb: I guess it's good to see that we have changed our views since those days - Momma raised us right!;)

I have a collection of Deltagrams and Flying Chips magazines ranging from the 30's to the early 70's. It is interesting to see the changes over the years. When was the last time you worked in the shop wearing wool slacks, dress shirt, tie and smoked a pipe! :D (tobacco pipe for you wise-guys):rofl:

FWIW,
Wes

Thanks to Richard Levine

Richard took the high resolution copy of the ad that I sent to him, made a large copy and sent it to me. I recieved it yesterday and it is now mounted with other posters and children's art near a very important machine in my shop -that is the pencil sharpener. This is the first old ad that I have posted in my shop and I am now going to be on the lookout for more.

Attachments

• Early 1940s Delta Bandsaw Poster mounted in shop -small.JPG
    Early 1940s Delta Bandsaw Poster mounted in shop -small.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 20