I need a brilliant idea...

John Dow

Former Member (at his request)
specifically for cutting dovetails on the end of a 7' board. Can't stand it up and handsaw... used the bandsaw this afternoon, but its kinda sloppy between the speed of cutting and balancing the board... short of growing three or four feet taller, I may have to resort to the Japanese saw :eek:

Any great ideas would be much appreciated!

I think the Bandsaw overall is still the best in that application. You probably just need to take the time to knock together a temporary narrow infeed table and make sure it's adjusted to the proper height, AND clamp or screw a fence along it's length to help guide the board accurately into the cut. It would take a few minutes to set it up, but the results should be worth the effort.

Now on the other hand................ I guess you could always find a friend with a two story house and get him to let you use a window on the second floor to hang the board out of and clamp it to the windowsill so you could cut it by hand...:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Note: If you use suggestion 2, please post pictures.:thumb: :D

How about a homemade jig for a router?

Oh man, can't believe I didn't even think of that! :doh: They're too big for a conventional bit, but a straight bearing bit would work great, I'll just make mating templates and tack them on with little screws (not going to be visible).

Norman, you just gave me an excuse to build a shop with a tall porch! Though I may have to wait ten years or so, in the mean time I guess I got to put up with router noise and mess :rofl:

Thanks for the input!

John, how bit of a dovetail bit would you need? Might this work?

CG18-494.gif

10° 15/16" diameter, 1 9/16" depth of cut.
Available from The Craftsman Gallery.

Man, thats a honker isn't it? I finished up the two I was working on today, but got 6 more coming so I may look into one of those. Thanks Dave.

How many? 10 tails = handsaw, 100 tails = excuse for new tool (whatever it may be . .. just use the 'excuse opportunity'). :wave:

How many? 10 tails = handsaw, 100 tails = excuse for new tool (whatever it may be . .. just use the 'excuse opportunity'). :wave:

Well, not that many all told, just three per jamb (adjustable door jambs), and in African Mahogany so they're super easy to cut. But speaking of excuses for tools, my ROS almost died yesterday, revived with a bit of cleaning and some spray silicone in the bearings. So I'm thinking of a new one of those, now just have to decide if another super cheap one will do, or if I should try the deluxe model :huh: