Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your blade storage!

Let's see your blade storage!

In the spirit of Rob Bodenschatz's 'Show me' threads, I would like to see how folks store their saw blades, specifically for the TS and CMS. I have been muddling around moving stacks of blades from bench to shelf, etc. for the last two years and it's about time I find a better solution. With a shop dog and the occasional neice or nephew in the shop, I need to think about something safer as well. Not to mention, something that protects the blades. Ideally, I would have one solution that could house both my 10" TS and my 12" CMS blades. But, please post all solutions that you like, I would love to see some pics! BTW, I looked for an already existing thread on this but could not find one - if this is a repeat, I apologize.

thanks!

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Hi Tim; the plan for this idea came from"WOOD". If you're interested, I could look for the specific issue. It will hold 12 blades. There is also an extension on the bottom which I added to hold TS inserts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TS Blade Storage002 (Medium).JPG  
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

My 'system' isn't picture worthy. A nail in the wall. Hang 'em there.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Not exactly the one I'm planning on building, but pretty close...

http://www.runnerduck.com/blade_holder.htm

Tim

This is the cabinet I built to fit underneath the extension of my Unisaw it has heavy duty full extension glides on the bottom drawer. The blade storage section is a box that drops into the drawer with an area in the back or front as you desire for Dado blade sets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unisaw cabinet & blade storage.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My 'system' isn't picture worthy. A nail in the wall. Hang 'em there.
    Same here except it is a lag bolt. Thin plwood between blades to seperate them. Not real handy for blades at the back but the two that I mostly alternate between are always on the top.

I'm with Mack but, Bart's is way-cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blade Rack 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm with Mack but, Bart's is way-cool.
    It may be cool Glenn but we all have our little problems in each of our shops. I would love to have some of the room & wall space I see in some of these pictures of shops.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Tim,

This is my mobile storage/transport solution for my 10" and 12" blades.

Not sure if you can see in the picture but I run a piece split clear tubing around each blade.

Darrin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CircBlades.jpg  

No, no, this ain't right. Not a single post who uses drawers yet? All the storage is vertical?

Well, guess I'd better show mine then, to round out the options.

My cabinet must be nearly 10 years old. Actually, I should rebuild it sometime. I built it way back when I had a 9" Rockwell/Beaver saw, so it is a bit narrow for 10" blades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawstorage1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	9307

Got the idea from some magazine or other - each drawer bottom is a piece of 1/8" hardboard or plywood. you could have them ride in kerfs in the side of the overall box. I used small blocks for the drawers to ride on. (made it from scraps at the time, and that worked best for what I had)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawstorage2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	9308

I like that each saw is kept individually separate, no chance at all of bumping into another one. I've seen other plans like this that have the blades just laying flat on some wood. I like this feature better: there are four small dowel pieces - less than 1/8" long - glued down. They don't have to be dowels. Just something that will keep the blade suspended a fraction of an inch above the base. I marked them in red on the photo, as they blend in to the background.

These dowel pieces makes it easier to grasp the blade and lift it out than if it were laying flat.. And of course, a taller dowel in the centre keeps it from sliding around.