Let's see your blade storage!

Tim Armstrong

In the spirit of Rob Bodenschatz's 'Show me' threads, I would like to see how folks store their saw blades, specifically for the TS and CMS. I have been muddling around moving stacks of blades from bench to shelf, etc. for the last two years and it's about time I find a better solution. With a shop dog and the occasional neice or nephew in the shop, I need to think about something safer as well. Not to mention, something that protects the blades. Ideally, I would have one solution that could house both my 10" TS and my 12" CMS blades. But, please post all solutions that you like, I would love to see some pics! BTW, I looked for an already existing thread on this but could not find one - if this is a repeat, I apologize.

thanks!

Tim

This is the cabinet I built to fit underneath the extension of my Unisaw it has heavy duty full extension glides on the bottom drawer. The blade storage section is a box that drops into the drawer with an area in the back or front as you desire for Dado blade sets.

Attachments

• Unisaw cabinet & blade storage.jpg
    Unisaw cabinet & blade storage.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 176
Tim,

This is my mobile storage/transport solution for my 10" and 12" blades.

Not sure if you can see in the picture but I run a piece split clear tubing around each blade.

Darrin

Attachments

• CircBlades.jpg
    CircBlades.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 98
No, no, this ain't right. Not a single post who uses drawers yet? All the storage is vertical?

Well, guess I'd better show mine then, to round out the options.

My cabinet must be nearly 10 years old. Actually, I should rebuild it sometime. I built it way back when I had a 9" Rockwell/Beaver saw, so it is a bit narrow for 10" blades.

sawstorage1.jpg

Got the idea from some magazine or other - each drawer bottom is a piece of 1/8" hardboard or plywood. you could have them ride in kerfs in the side of the overall box. I used small blocks for the drawers to ride on. (made it from scraps at the time, and that worked best for what I had)

sawstorage2.jpg

I like that each saw is kept individually separate, no chance at all of bumping into another one. I've seen other plans like this that have the blades just laying flat on some wood. I like this feature better: there are four small dowel pieces - less than 1/8" long - glued down. They don't have to be dowels. Just something that will keep the blade suspended a fraction of an inch above the base. I marked them in red on the photo, as they blend in to the background.

These dowel pieces makes it easier to grasp the blade and lift it out than if it were laying flat.. And of course, a taller dowel in the centre keeps it from sliding around.

Thanks to all!

Thank you to everybody - these are some great and some simple, practical solutions. Like Bart, I'm afraid wall space is at a bit of premium in that part of the shop so the simple nail on the wall solution takes up too much real estate in my basement shop. I think all of the solutions look good and once again, this is a great thread that I think will be helpfull for a long time.

Also, special thanks to Don for sending me some great info in email. Art, based on the stuff Don sent me, it looks like your solution is very similar to one that ShopNotes published. Very cool.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, all.

I shant show a picture... but think of 1/4" peg board and some thingies that stick out... Hang my blade on them... I know I are a lower class citizen for the unworthy effort I exert but it seems to work well. The Dado set is in the box it came in and hangs on the hooks as well. Works for me...

I shant show a picture... but think of 1/4" peg board and some thingies that stick out... Hang my blade on them... I know I are a lower class citizen for the unworthy effort I exert but it seems to work well. The Dado set is in the box it came in and hangs on the hooks as well. Works for me...

Hey Bill, I did less work than you did, I just keep mine on the side of my DeWalt BT TS, there is a thing built in, just undo the wingnut, put the blade on the bolt thingy, and do up the wingnut :D :wave: