Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Sander Advice

Festool Sander Advice

I am outfitting my new shop and want to add some sanding tools. I will be making furniture and cabinets mostly. I have no sanding equipment currently (except for a small jitterbug). I am getting the Festool 1400 router and C22 vacuum and like their dust handling capabilities, so I want to stay with the Festool line for sanders. What are your suggestions for which sander (or sanders) to get? Is there one that 'does it all' or should I get more than one sander. Thanks in advance.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

Steve Clardy Guest
    I have the 150/3 6"
    Does about all I need in the way of sanding.

I have the "old" 6" Rotex, it is a wonderful machine I use it all the time.

And then I bought DS 400 EQ for finer detail sanding, it had an "iron shaped" sole/base with a point that lets you get into corners. Per turned me on to the fact that I could buy a rectangular base for the sander so I got two sanders for essentially the price of one. I can't remember what the rectangular base cost but it wasn't a big deal.

In any event, they are get pieces of equipment. I don't love sanding but I don't hate it as much as I used to before I discovered the Festool equipment.

Jay

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I've been eyeing the new dual mode 6" 150/3 rotex, looks like it will handle most all sanding needs.

I found that I needed 3 Festool sanders to accomplish the type of work that I do. I am going to extract material from another thread here that I responded to earlier today. It describes the sanders that I use.
    The Rotex RO 150 random orbital hooked up to a vacuum eliminates dust, in aggressive mode replaces a belt sander, and in fine mode produces a superb finish. Perhaps it is not as good a finish as can be achieved with a scraper, but I can't tell the difference. As for getting into corners, I also have a Fetool LS 130 Linear sander that uses rectangular pds and a Festool Deltex DX 93 detail sander that uses small triangular pads. Of course these sanders hook up to the vacuum as well.
    Cheers, Frank

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    I have the Rotex, the ETS 150/3, and the detail sander DS400. If I had to pick one, it would be the ETS palm ROS. The Rotex is great for aggressive sanding or gentle polishing, but it is big and heavy. The ETS is not quite so aggressive, but it gets the job done and its light and has very low vibration. The ETS and the Rotex use the same paper. I use the detail sander for corners and other tight spaces. All the sanders have excellent dust control.

I'll give my 2 cents. I started with the 1/2 sheet RS2-E and I love it. Since that machine, I've bought the RO150 and an RS400 quarter sheet. The RS2-E is my favorite. Heavy and smooth. Perfect to ensure a very flat table top...joe

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    I found that I needed 3 Festool sanders to accomplish the type of work that I do. I am going to extract material from another thread here that I responded to earlier today. It describes the sanders that I use.
    The Rotex RO 150 random orbital hooked up to a vacuum eliminates dust, in aggressive mode replaces a belt sander, and in fine mode produces a superb finish. Perhaps it is not as good a finish as can be achieved with a scraper, but I can't tell the difference. As for getting into corners, I also have a Fetool LS 130 Linear sander that uses rectangular pds and a Festool Deltex DX 93 detail sander that uses small triangular pads. Of course these sanders hook up to the vacuum as well.
    Frank, that's an excellent selection of sanders, and I was mainly thinking of hogging off vs. fine sanding, and the new dual mode seems to be an improvement on that possibly.

I had been planning to do what Jesse did, get the ETS 150/3, the form factor is a big consideration. Then I saw the dual mode come out, it looks nice.

I have a CT-mini I bought from a friend, and bought it intentionally to use with a sander. Would have rather had the CT-22, but this CT-mini will do for now.

I have the older Rotex. And a 150/3. I use the 150/3 the most. The Rotex for more aggressive sanding and Buffing.
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 11-23-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Jeff,
    I have the 125, 150, Rotex and the detail sander. They all have their purpose but I use the 125 the most simply because it is the smallest and easiest to use on small parts. I wish someone would make something like a 3" ROS or I could some how swing that widebelt I am drooling over!