Green wood bowl

Shawn Lakes

This bowl has been drying for a while. I took it out of the bag and cleaned it up on the lathe last night. I am finishing it with BLO. It has the first coat on it in the Pics. I didn't know how much they warp when they are drying but at least it didn't break. The bowl is 10'' across on the top and 5'' tall. The guy that I got the wood from said that it was Maple but it didn't look like it to me. I am not sure what it is though.

Attachments

• Bowl 1.JPG
    Bowl 1.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bowl2.JPG
    bowl2.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 19
  • bowl3.JPG
    bowl3.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi Shawn,
That is a very nice looking bowl. How much did it change in tone when you put that first coat on? Nice I'll bet.
It maybe maple, that spalting can cause confusion as to the real kind of wood because it is so bold and will hardly allow you to see pure "Maple".:D
Whatever, it sure is pretty.
Shaz

Very cool, Shawn. You'll find some bowls warp quite a bit when drying, and others hardly move. Always somewhat of a mystery how they'll come out until it's done, but yours came out real nice. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I bought a case of Minwax Antique oil at an auction a while back. I will try that on the bowl that is coming out of a bag on Wednesday.

I think you'll like the Antique Oil. It can be built up into a nice glossy (buffed) finish if you want, or left a bit more satiny if needed.

Now, that's one nice bowl. Wish I could do one like that! Course, I don't have the patience to turn a blank, let it dry, and then turn it again, so I admire anyone who does... ;)

I've got one on the lathe right now, about the same size, but its finished wall thickness will be about the same as your guy's blanks... ;)

Thanks,

Bill