Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another birdhouse

Another birdhouse

I made a similar birdhouse this spring and have ended up getting quite a few people wanting me to make one for them. One is even a paying customer. So this one is for her. It's from an old dried up and split walnut log. It has a big crack, 3/8" wide going up the back side. These are a little like turning a toothpic out of a tree trunk. You end up with a lot of shavings. But it's a pretty good way to use some logs that you've let sit around for too long. This one is 20" tall and 11" diameter. There's also a picture of how it started out (the top half). Finish is a couple doses of Thompson waterseal with a couple coats of Spar Urethane over that.

Well done Curt! Is this turned as one piece or do you turn 2 separate pieces? Is the "body" of the birdhouse hollow?

Too pretty to be outside. Bring the birds into your home.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Curt,

I'd like to make one of these, but can't figure out the whole process. Can you provide some more details?

Thanks,

Bill

Man I have a lot to learn about this lathe thing. That looks great.

Another winner, Curt. I like the way you finished off the bottom. (Is it still a finial if it's pointing down?)

I've got a neighbor who wants one (after seeing my version of your first one) so I told her to find me a suitable log.

Ken and Bill, I know I used a bit different method, but I have a brief description of how I made a similar birdhouse in this thread.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great job Curt. I would like to know how you did that also.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

NEATO Curt -- That's really Cool !!

Tony, BCE '75

Thanks you guys.

Bill and Ken, this is just a modified lidded box more or less. It's turned as two pieces. For the bottom I use a smaller log. I put it between centers and turn one end down to a tenon to hold it in my chuck. Once it's in the chuck I shape the body of the birdhouse (on the tailstock end) and hollow it out leaving a hollow tenon to fit into the top (it's hollowed about 4 or 5 inches deep). Then I turn it around and use the chuck jaws in the inside of the tenon that is the top opening of the body in expansion mode while I finish sanding and turning the bottom finial. For the top (a bigger log) I turn one end down again to a tenon to hold it in the jaws. That will eventually be the top end of the roof. I then hold it in the jaws with the tailstock on the other end and make the bottom side of the roof concave and turn a recess or mortise for the bottom half to fit in. So the bottom is the box and the roof is the lid. Then I turn it around and use the jaws in expansion mode in the mortise I turned on the underside of the roof to hold that while I turn away the 3 or 4 bushels of shavings to form the roof.

I hope that makes sense, I can't explain things very well if you can't see my hands.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 06-04-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    ...I can't explain things very well if you can't see my hands.
    Wow Curt, I'm surprised. You don't look Italian.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering how you did yours. I was thinking about posting the steps I used for doing a one-piece version of your birdhouse, but I'll save it for another time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com