Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bessey Uniklamps

Bessey Uniklamps

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Bessey Uniklamps.

The Bessey K body clamps seem to be very popular and I was wondering how the Uniklamps compared.

As I am only a "garage woodworker" I thought the K series might be more than I really need or can justify (price wise).

Thanks Robert

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-UK3-012...922056&sr=1-51
    Last edited by Robert Byatt; 06-04-2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added link

If the Uniklamps are the grey body ones (I can't remember) then I have about eight, 24" Uniklamps and use them for light duty clamping. They don't have quite the clamping power as the K-body but they are sufficient for a lot of projects making them quite handy.

I'd agree with Alex.

Thing is, if you wait for a sale at Amazon, you can get the K-body clamps cheap!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've looked at the UniKlamps too...but the K-Bodies come on sale more often, and if you wait...and watch...

2 x 2450 sets, 4 x 12" and 8 x 24" was good.

I should have ordered more....
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 06-04-2007 at 04:17 AM.

I'm with these other fellas. I have a half dozen or so of the uniklamps ... i have almost 20 k-bodies. The unis are a dang fine clamp, but you certainly wouldn't wanna go pull that monster tabletop together with 'em. They're just as well built as the k-bodies, just scaled down. The bar's a good deal smaller than the k-body one, but I'd bet there's still more steel in those than in any of my F-style clamps.

And stick with watching Amazon. Hardly a month goes by where the k-bodies ain't on sale. You can get the 2440 cabinetmaker set (two 24s and two 40s) for under $100 with free shipping.

I got the uniklamp set that was two 6's, two 12's and two 18's for 90 something with free shipping, too. WELL worth the money
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I've got K-bodies and similar Gross-Stabil clamps (which I prefer), but if you're clamping on a budget, don't rule out good ol' pipe clamps. There's been a lot of fine work done with them. Yes, the Bessy-style parallel clamps have advantages, but pipe clamps give a lot of squeeze for the dollar. And they last forever, too.

Oh, and welcome to the clubhouse, Robert. Glad to have you aboard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hi all,

Thank you for the reply's.

Unfortunately I am in Australia and Amazon doesn’t deliver down under.

A cheap K-body 24" in Australia costs about $54.00us and an equivalent Uniklamp is about $30.00us.

That's why I'm looking at alternatives to the K-bodies

Regards Robert

Vaughn,

I've seen you mention the Gross Stabil clamps several times...could you post a bit more on the differences between them and the Besseys, and why you prefer the GS. Good info for those possibly looking for an alternative to the Bessey...for whatever reason. Robert might want to consider those instead of the UniKlamp?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 06-04-2007 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Vaughn,

I've seen you mention the Gross Stabil clamps several times...could you post a bit more on the differences between them and the Besseys, and why you prefer the GS. Good info for those possibly looking for an alternative to the Bessey...for whatever reason. Robert might want to consider those instead of the UniKlamp?

Thanks,
    The GS clamps are a bit beefier, and I have less trouble getting the sliding part to lock in place than I do with the K-Bodies. YMMV. They also have slightly larger clamping surfaces, and the handles are a bit bigger, and easier for me to grip. Plus, I like yellow better than red.

I've only got four 48 inchers, but I don't have much need for more right now. I got them a couple years ago on sale from one of the online tool stores (don't recall which one). They were about the same price as the Besseys when they're on sale. I later picked up a 2450 set of K-Bodies on sale (Amazon, I think), like a lot of other people have at one time or another. I ordered the 2440 set, but they were out of stock and sent me the 2450 set instead for the same price. Either brand is good, but if the price is equal, I'd buy the Gross Stabil.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The GS clamps are a bit beefier, and I have less trouble getting the sliding part to lock in place than I do with the K-Bodies. YMMV. They also have slightly larger clamping surfaces, and the handles are a bit bigger, and easier for me to grip. Plus, I like yellow better than red.

Either brand is good, but if the price is equal, I'd buy the Gross Stabil.
    I have 16 Bessey clamps and 2 Gross Stabil. I agree completely with Vaighn's description of the differences between them and his reccomendation.
    Cheers, Frank