Bessey Uniklamps

Robert Byatt

Last edited:
If the Uniklamps are the grey body ones (I can't remember) then I have about eight, 24" Uniklamps and use them for light duty clamping. They don't have quite the clamping power as the K-body but they are sufficient for a lot of projects making them quite handy.

I've looked at the UniKlamps too...but the K-Bodies come on sale more often, and if you wait...and watch...

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2 x 2450 sets, 4 x 12" and 8 x 24" was good. :rofl:

I should have ordered more.... :doh:

Last edited:
I'm with these other fellas. I have a half dozen or so of the uniklamps ... i have almost 20 k-bodies. The unis are a dang fine clamp, but you certainly wouldn't wanna go pull that monster tabletop together with 'em. They're just as well built as the k-bodies, just scaled down. The bar's a good deal smaller than the k-body one, but I'd bet there's still more steel in those than in any of my F-style clamps.

And stick with watching Amazon. Hardly a month goes by where the k-bodies ain't on sale. You can get the 2440 cabinetmaker set (two 24s and two 40s) for under $100 with free shipping.

I got the uniklamp set that was two 6's, two 12's and two 18's for 90 something with free shipping, too. WELL worth the money :)

I've got K-bodies and similar Gross-Stabil clamps (which I prefer), but if you're clamping on a budget, don't rule out good ol' pipe clamps. There's been a lot of fine work done with them. Yes, the Bessy-style parallel clamps have advantages, but pipe clamps give a lot of squeeze for the dollar. And they last forever, too. ;)

Oh, and welcome to the clubhouse, Robert. :wave: Glad to have you aboard.

Hi all,

Thank you for the reply's.

Unfortunately I am in Australia and Amazon doesn’t deliver down under. :(

A cheap K-body 24" in Australia costs about $54.00us and an equivalent Uniklamp is about $30.00us. :eek:

That's why I'm looking at alternatives to the K-bodies

Regards Robert

Vaughn,

I've seen you mention the Gross Stabil clamps several times...could you post a bit more on the differences between them and the Besseys, and why you prefer the GS. Good info for those possibly looking for an alternative to the Bessey...for whatever reason. Robert might want to consider those instead of the UniKlamp?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Vaughn,

I've seen you mention the Gross Stabil clamps several times...could you post a bit more on the differences between them and the Besseys, and why you prefer the GS. Good info for those possibly looking for an alternative to the Bessey...for whatever reason. Robert might want to consider those instead of the UniKlamp?

Thanks,
The GS clamps are a bit beefier, and I have less trouble getting the sliding part to lock in place than I do with the K-Bodies. YMMV. They also have slightly larger clamping surfaces, and the handles are a bit bigger, and easier for me to grip. Plus, I like yellow better than red. :p

I've only got four 48 inchers, but I don't have much need for more right now. I got them a couple years ago on sale from one of the online tool stores (don't recall which one). They were about the same price as the Besseys when they're on sale. I later picked up a 2450 set of K-Bodies on sale (Amazon, I think), like a lot of other people have at one time or another. ;) I ordered the 2440 set, but they were out of stock and sent me the 2450 set instead for the same price. :thumb: Either brand is good, but if the price is equal, I'd buy the Gross Stabil.

The GS clamps are a bit beefier, and I have less trouble getting the sliding part to lock in place than I do with the K-Bodies. YMMV. They also have slightly larger clamping surfaces, and the handles are a bit bigger, and easier for me to grip. Plus, I like yellow better than red. :p

Either brand is good, but if the price is equal, I'd buy the Gross Stabil.
I have 16 Bessey clamps and 2 Gross Stabil. I agree completely with Vaighn's description of the differences between them and his reccomendation.

I have 16 Bessey clamps and 2 Gross Stabil. I agree completely with Vaighn's description of the differences between them and his reccomendation.

Frank:

I have the same number and types as you do. Seams most people have only two Gross Stabil clamps and in my case that will be all that I have.

The Gross clamps that I have jam in the closed (tighten position) it jams so badly that I will pull out the screw from the head and then have to lever the jaws apart.

The other thing that bugs me is when it comes time to store the clamp you have to work the moveable jaw done the bar. The Besy slides down the bar by it self

My .02

Greg

Hi all,

Thank you for the reply's.

Unfortunately I am in Australia and Amazon doesn’t deliver down under. :(

A cheap K-body 24" in Australia costs about $54.00us and an equivalent Uniklamp is about $30.00us. :eek:

That's why I'm looking at alternatives to the K-bodies

Regards Robert

Ouch! That does make one want to look around. As others have stated; K-body clamps have four metal plates in the jaws for strength. The Uni's I've looked at have two. This is not corner-cutting; the Uni's are designed for less pressure. That does not make them a lesser clamp Per Se, just designed for a different purpose. Think about your clamping requirements and then decide. Bessey's website has good data sheets on their clamps, ratings, sizes of bar material and all that.

Greg

Have you talked to anyone else about the problems with your GS clamps? Vaughn or Frank...have either of you experienced the same problems? The GS look like they are worth considering, and would like further comments.

Thanks,

Greg

Have you talked to anyone else about the problems with your GS clamps? Vaughn or Frank...have either of you experienced the same problems? The GS look like they are worth considering, and would like further comments.

Thanks,
I've not had the jaw get stuck like Greg S noted. I have noticed the jaw drops to the end (for storage) easier on the K-Bodies, but haven't seen it as a problem with the GS clamps. That same ease of movement also makes it harder (for me) to get the K-Bodies to grab when I want them too.

Ah, so it's a Canadian thing. :rofl: Kidding aside, I'm not sure what would cause them to jam like you and others have seen...I've sure not seen that behavior.

And for future reference, it's prefectly OK to post links to other forums here. We figure if it's useful information, it doesn't matter whose website it comes from. We're not competing with anyone, unlike some other forums. ;)