the new milwaukee plunge router is out

ken werner

It's for sale as a 1 motor, 2 base kit at Amazon. Just wondering if anybody here has tried it. Looks nice. I read that the plunge base alone will sell for $99, so it may be better to buy the kit.

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken. I suppose that not many have had the chance to try it but my guess is that since it is Milwaukee it has to be good. Also, they waited so long to come out with it I would think that it is very well designed. I am not getting the photos at Amazon. It would be nice to get a good look at it.

Last edited:
Fine Woodworking really liked it. I was told by Milwaukee via email that the base will be offered seperately and fits the 5615 as well as the 5616. Since even the kit does not appear on Milwaukee's website I suppose it will be awhile until the base is offered genrally.

Of course, I like Ken's idea of just buying the kit. Then my 5615 could be dedicated to DT's. . . . hmmmmm.

Last edited:
It was either pop-wood or wwj that also did a review and said it won honors for it's features.

Mine's already on pre-order with amazon. Since i've had a 5615, i've always wanted it in a plunge base. The wishing well worked this time! I'd better go buy a lottery ticket :D

I almost pulled the trigger today, but shipping isn't until the end of the month. I figured I'll watch the prices for a bit and see if they shift around. Jason, it looks like a really nice unit. My thought is to buy the larger unit [2 1/4 HP] and then sell my Hitachi TR12. With the plunge base alone selling for $99, if and when it goes on the market, it seems the kit is a better value. To me anyway. I've got the 5615, and it is a real honey.
Ken

Hehe :D

I'm interested to see which of us will get theirs soonest. Amazon's telling me a delivery estimate between June 13 and June 29. Since we're on opposite coasts, I'm curious to see what kind of effect that'll have.

It's here!!!!!!

It's very beefy. Pics coming soon, I promise. I just went home for lunch and it was on my front porch (i hate that). The box was huge, the milwaukee case is huge, too. Ken, when you get yours, don't open it like a suitcase setting on a bed, everything will fall all over! Stand it up so the clasps are up on top and both sides will fold down to reveal the two bases.

I gotta say .. the plunge mechanism is quite beefy. It reminds me of those big PC 3hp models. It plunges really smoothly. The release lever is on the left side, which will take a little getting used to, but the handles look like they might be flipped so that you could use it as a righty, too. I'll have to investigate further on that.

They installed the 1/4" collet and put the 1/2" one in the wrench pouch, which just kinda struck me funny. Big beefy router, itty bitty collet :rofl:

Like I said, more details to follow ... but overall this thing is NOICE!! :D