The source of trouble...

Bill Lantry

Well, folks, here's the bowl that caused all the trouble. No, I don't have a photo booth, can you tell? ;)

10 1/2" wide, 5" tall, barely spalted cherry from the back 40. When the blank first went on, it was so unbalanced it caused the whole lathe stand to actually bounce at my lowest speed. I *really* need to make a circle cutting jig for the bandsaw... ;)

This one has some bark inclusions, some wierd grain twists, and, as Baird said "there's a barky hole near the bottom. I can see light coming through... "

I told him "that's what makes it Art!" ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Kathryn 001 (Medium).jpg
Kathryn 002 (Medium).jpg
Kathryn 003 (Medium).jpg
Kathryn 004 (Medium).jpg
Kathryn 009 (Medium).jpg

That came out very nice, Bill. :thumb: Looks like the curve is nice and even (I'd be nice to see a profile picture), and your finish came out looking great. They do get easier as you do more of them. The little bit of tearout on the sides will diminish as you get more practice using and sharpening the various tools.

As an aside, I don't use a circle-cutting jig on my bandsaw...I just find a way to draw a circle (or close approximation) and free-hand the cut on the bandsaw. Doesn't need to be exact. For odd-shaped pieces, I'll tack a paper plate to the top of it, and use the edge of that for a guide. If the saw blade happens to hit the plate, it's no biggie.

wow. paper plate. that's a great idea! I'll have to try it. Thanks.

I have to make a confession. I've been using the harbor frieght chisels (you know, the 40$ ones) so far. But last time I was there, I saw some small ones for a whole 10 bucks. I've been sharpening them as if they were hand scrapers, so it's the burr that cuts, and using them deep inside the bowl and especially towards the end, when I'm getting the striations out. It does help with the sharpening technique... and I figure, if I ruin one, I've just lost a whole 2 bucks... ;)

Thanks,

Bill