Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench height

Workbench height

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best height for a general purpose workbench would be? I'm 5' 11"
    Thanks
    Dennis

This is one of those never ending debate issues. My answer is: whatever is comfortable for the user. I'm stretching it to say I'm 5'8" tall but my bench is almost 36" to the top. I know guys 6'4" to over 6'6" whose benches are only about 31" or 32" to the top. I don't know how they work. I jacked my lathe up four inches from standard (whatever that is) because I don't like to work bending over. Standing normally is much less tiring for me. Thet's my tuppance.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Don't make the mistake I did. I did the old "stand there, hold your arms at the side, put your palms flat, and how ever high your palms are, make it that tall" trick.

Well, it's too high. Subtract a 2 or 3 inches. That way, when you're planing, you can lean into it, and there WILL be times when you'll want to pull up a stool and sit to work on something. You can always make it higher, but it's hard to make it lower...

Thanks,

Bill

Dennis,

Welcome to Family Wood Working!

I don't know the measurement off the top of my head (I'm not in the shop now), but I made my 2 benches the same height as my table saw so I could use them for run out tables if necessary. Plus the height of my table saw is a pretty comfortable height for me to work at.

Edit I'm 5'11" and don't do much planing.
    Last edited by Sean Wright; 06-05-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    I'm 6' 1"

I like a 32" bench height

"Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Mine is whatever height I want it to be, between 27" and 44". Adjust-a-bench leg sets are awesome and solid. When I first got mine I had no idea how much I'd actually use different heights, but I probably set it to a different height 3 or 4 times during any one project. Highly recommend them if you think you can swing it.
    Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com

I'm 6'0" but have long arms. I was going to go for 33" and set a top at that height to play around with for awhile. At this point, I'm back to 36" as I do minimal hand planing, etc. and was getting a sore back from hunching.

I may lower it again before the final build as now I find anything of reasonable size setting on a 36" high platform gets too tall to work on. If you want to hand drill or do chisel work on the top face of a 10" box setting on a 36" tall bench top, you're almost 4 feet off the ground.

I agree with Matt's rule of thumb and that's why I started testing a low. Maybe 31 1/2"??? Decisions, decisions.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My main bench is around 30". It is used mostly to refinish furniture so lower is better. I am working and a new one that will be around 34" for general use. I am 6'4".

I'm 6'3 and in my old shop I had my benches all the way up in the stratosphere at 42" HOWever I have a lab stool as my seat of choice, and I rarely did any hand planing. In the new shop, I'm going to lower those down to about 37" for the aforementioned tablesaw height. (36"??) I too like things to be taller, but I think I over-did it with my old bench. John, you were right it was too tall!
    -Ned

get taller

well i have my bench-assembly table as my out feed table as well and its around 34-35 but i find that when assebling i wish it were shorter so i get a old milk crate and get taller but the new shop will have shortend bench like steve has. used his awhile and it was very comfortable and it held my lard butt for the never ending conversations we had
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!