A Rumor about Nancy Laird

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
There's a vicious rumor going around the Internet that Nancy Laird is turning her first bowl. :thumb:

Since not all of us can view pics on SMC anymore, hopefully she'll find it in her heart to post some proof of the rumor here. ;)

A spy in the house of love...

Hey, folks,

I'm in total stealth mode, they have no idea who I am over there. The rumor is only half true... yes, there's a picture of her, presenting herself gouge in hand to a six inch rough bowl blank, but there are no, repeat, NO flying shavings or wood chips. Other than a lot of verbiage concerning various men and much talk of "the end of june", that's about it. ;)

Frankly, the whole thing could have been photoshopped. For all we know, there's a picture somewhere of her with a fishing pole in her hands, and someone has image morphed her in front of the lathe! ;)

In other words, no smoking gun, or, in this case, no smokin shavings! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
(certain to be banned from the forbidden zone at any moment! ;)

Doubt it???

she is to busy gettin ready fo rthis summers sales,, she told us tyhat she was gonna turn abowl but i think she was just say'un that to applause us :D

left the spelun in just fer you nancy:D

The rumor is true!!!!

It all started Sunday, when people started reading my interview on SMC, and I mentioned in the interview that there were several people gently prodding (okay, they were nagging) me to get to bowls. I made the colossal mistake of committing to produce a bowl by the end of June. Then, after LOML and I came in from dinner on Sunday evening, he took me by the hand, led me into the shop, and told me to put my money where my mouth was. So.....a piece of maple on the lathe, into the smock and shield, 50s-era Atlas 1" bowl gouge in hand, I started roughing that little 6" piece of maple.
Nancy roughing out the maple - 6-3-07.jpg

So last night, after sanding and sanding and sanding the outside of the bowl, it got flipped around onto the stronghold chuck and I started hogging out the inside.
Nancy hogging out the bowl 2 - 6-4-07.jpg

Came home tonight, finished the inside, decided it didn't look too bad, and finished it with BLO and shellac. It's a modest, unassuming little bowl, about 5-3/4" across and 1-1/4" high, and it sits on a little bitty foot about 1/8" above the surface it's sitting on. It's blotchy, it has some cracks in it, but it's mine, all mine. I made it and it's MY FIRST BOWL!!!!

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

So who was that tall, dark stranger who said I couldn't turn a bowl????

Tomorrow night the bottom gets lasered.

Nancy

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
So who was that tall, dark stranger who said I couldn't turn a bowl????

I dunno, but for the time being you could blame it on Merlau....he seems to be tall and I know he is strange.

Nice job Nancy, bowl looks great hard to believe it is your first one.:thumb:

Very nice first bowl Nancy! Congrats! Looks like Dave will have to invest in 2 lathes now!

We already have two--the little WoodTek and the old Atlas. We're dickering for a #1 from WWS - it's a prototype and needs lots of parts, but we may be able to install it in the new "turning room" we're getting ready to build.

I'm glad you like my little bowl.

Nancy

Ah, so the rumors were true. :p Thanks for posting the pics, Nancy. Nice first bowl...has some similarities with my first one, too. In 6 months or a year you'll have fun looking back at this one and seeing how much your skills have improved. :thumb: