Thread: Family Woodworking

Family Woodworking

It is a good name "Family Woodworking".
    The Children know the computer, so we must reach them with our joy of wood working. Where are the projects of real excitement for the children in this realm? They are "beginning woodworkers" but their ideas are exciting. Let us consider what we can offer them at our level of expertise, yet their level of knowledge. Safely first.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

We want to make a "Kids Korner" of some kind, a place to show off what the kids are doing, what they did and how it was done so other kids can give it a go too. Designs, plans and ideas as well.

I know this was talked about, but in the haste and busy times to get this place up and running, I guess we forgot.

We shall certainly look into setting this up.

I know my two girls would love to see what other kids are making.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I know my two girls would love to see what other kids are making.
    You can tell them my two daughters ( 9 and 10) are gluing up all my scraps from the scrap bin .
    Jim

Steve Clardy Guest
    Guess I'll hafta dust off the birdhouse, bathouse plans

One of the first things I made from wood was a Barbie doll couch for my sisters. I made it with a handsaw, nails, and some crate wood, back when produce came in wooden crates. There's a lot of little things a kid could make from 1/4" stock with a saw, a bit of glue, and some finishing nails.

I'd think we could come up with a variety of plans and ideas for kid projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    One of the first things I made from wood was a Barbie doll couch for my sisters.
    Vaughn, you had me scared for a second, then I read the rest of the post. Man don't do that to me early in the morning! My sisters had them too, but I did not build for them as they got Dad to buy them what they wanted. You know, a smile and a "please Daddy" worked every time.

It is amazing what the kids can do with scraps of wood and with their own idea and if when they are done they are "beaming" then success has struck them a "good" blow. We as adults need be careful to never take that "glow" of pride away,( I am sure guilty of it and it hurts once you see the change of attitude) even if you just don't "get it" with what they made. Pleased to see interest in this area of our profession.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Guess I'll hafta dust off the birdhouse, bathouse plans

BOY!!!

I REALLY have to finish that correspondance reading course. The first time I read through Steve's post I thought, "Why is Steve talking about bath houses in a thread about kids and WWing?"

Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin