Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: free wood I'm declining

free wood I'm declining

Mods can move if this isn't proper forum.
    Y'all might remember me mentioning a friend a while back who is a master wood carver. Name, Len Dillon. He is a master's master. Well, at age 80, a few weeks ago he was hit with a massive stroke. Makes me cry to see such a dynamic person who has given so much to others now helpless. He has lost all function in the left arm, can't hear from left ear and can't turn to look left. Mind is still sharp, thankfully and speech is only slightly impaired. While visiting him at the nursing home his wife was also there. During the visit she said I could come by and take all the wood I want. Now, Len has a large shop building and many thousands of board feet of all kinds of wood stored. It's a small fortune worth. But, I was saddened that she said this in front of him. To me, it was a sign she had given up on his ever regaining enough health to enjoy the shop again. But, on the other hand, she realizes that it must all go and having a friend take it would be better than hiring someone or burning. However, I can't do it. Not while Len is still with us and able to enjoy talking about wood carving/working. I'm sure he has hopes of getting back to work. For an idea of what Len can do, check out his web site:
    http://www.diamondd.org/
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

You are right on your decision. Who knows maybe you
    can encourage him to try and be active somehow again.

Visited his site WOW

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Frank, I can certainly empathize with your feelings. Having your friend give you the wood while he was still able to make a gift of it is one thing; going to his shop and taking what you want is sort of like the vultures who descend--you know, the ones who will steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes. Maybe there is a way that he can get out of the nursing home on a visit back to his shop and you can go with him?? Maybe he's able enough to take a day trip?

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Hi Frank, you did the right thing. And Len may improve with time. It can take a while, but he may be able to recover some use. And what Nancy said.
    Ken

Frank,

I went to your friend's site, and all I can say is WoW! You weren't kidding when you said he is a Master Carver.

I think you're making the right decision, in not taking the wood. It would be one thing if he was nolonger with us and his wife was trying to get rid of it, or if he directly gave it to you...But to take it under these circumstances wouldn't be the respectful thing to do, in my opinion.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Frank, I think you did the right thing.

For what its worth, I've thought about this personally. When I go, I hope one of my woodworking buddies will help my wife sell off my stuff. After your friend stabilizes, you might make the offer...
    Don't believe everything you think!

Frank,
    You have certainly made the right decision. 80 year old FIL has done some wonderful and inspiring work since I got him back into it after a bout with health. Way to go Frank
    Thanks,
    Chuck

i too agree with waiting till he and you can make the choice not the wife!! there are to many of the vulture types and its good to know that your not one of them some real nice carving fer sure.. i know of a man who too had a massive stroke and is doing pretty good now after alot of therapy.. so maybe he wont be as good as he once was but if he can just whittle tooth pic's he will enjoy the things he sees in the wood!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Frank, I'm going to take a little different approach to this. If his wife is already thinking of getting rid of the lumber, you may ought to take it. Tell your friend you will take care of it for him and when he is ready he can have any and all of it back if he so desires. The alternative is she may give it to someone else who may not be so considerate! I admire your sentiments, but don't let this lumber go to someone who wouldn't appreciate it the way you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Frank, I'm going to take a little different approach to this. If his wife is already thinking of getting rid of the lumber, you may ought to take it. Tell your friend you will take care of it for him and when he is ready he can have any and all of it back if he so desires. The alternative is she may give it to someone else who may not be so considerate! I admire your sentiments, but don't let this lumber go to someone who wouldn't appreciate it the way you do!
    Thanks, Ed. Problem is, I'm conflicted. I understand what you are saying, but I would rather lose it than to be the one to break his heart. At this point we don't know what he is thinking about getting back into his shop.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire