Sharpening on Veritas Mk II machine

I have a number of tools, including some mortise chisels, that won't fit in the standard tool holder. My first attempt to set a bevel angle w/o the holder was pretty awful.

Can the machine be used for these bigger tools? How about an axe blade?
I don't want to go out and by a Tormek.

Gary Curtis

Steve

Just received mine yesterday. I didn't order extra sandpaper with it, thinking I could make my disks myself. Would this be a good idea or
not, and have you tried it? If so what did you use for adhesive, and
paper?

Thanks
Les

Hi Les.
Not sure on the adhesive you would need to use if you made your own discs.

I ordered an extra set of discs with mine when I got the machine, probably two years ago.

I'm still on the first set. Discs last real good :thumb:

Thanks steve that was another thing I was wondering about (how long the disks last) I'm going to just order a backup set. I can't wait to have some sharp tools.

Sharpening on Veritas

The disks sold by Lee Valley w/ the machine are 3m brand. They are called PVA-backed sanding disks and are also sold through auto refinishing supply companies. 8-inch, with a small hole in the center. A really well-stocked auto parts house might have the larger grit sizes, but probably not the finest grade. They are made for car painters.

I wouldn't try making your own up.The disks sold at Lee Valley last a long time. The 80-grit will go forever. The 40-micron and 9 micron will clog up faster. After grinding a new bevel on 5 plane irons and 20 or so chisels, I'm going to replace my 9 micron disk. The courser grits are still going strong.

A friend of mine gave me some LapSharp disks to try out. These have a larger hole in the center, but are otherwise similar to the Lee-Valley supplied disks. LapSharps are available down to 1, .5, .3 micron, which is really in the domain of honing. Otherwise, they offer no advantage over Lee Valley supplies and are more expensive. Cost is about $4/disk. LV cost is about $3/disk.

When you take into account the "expendibles" costs for the different sharpening methods, the Veritas is quite economical. Scary sharp techniques can really chew a hole in your wallet.

Gary Curtis