Plunge router recommendation need

Wes Billups

I’m getting everything put together to plumb my shop with 6” PVC dust collection pipe and realize I really need a plunge router. I have some MDF donuts to make for joining the blower to the cyclone. I also plan on making my own blast gates out of MDF and Masonite. Good dust collection on the router is going to weigh heavily on my decision.

I’ve heard good things about Dewalt’s 621 and was wanting everyone else’s opinions.

For reference I have a Porter Cable D-handle router as my only handheld and the larger PC 3 hp plunge router mounted in my router table. I hate using the 3 hp router by hand and that’s why I’m asking for recommendations. I’ll consider the kits as I could always use another fixed base router.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

take a look at the triton tra001 plunge router. best price i see is at woodcraft for about $215. i've had the trc001 for several years and like the innovative features. for instance you can do the normal plunge with a locking lever or set the machine to plunge by rotating a large knob for quick movement or a smaller knob for very fine movements. also i was impressed with the dust control shielding.

Rennie, I could, but it would cost me around $100 for the base only and I really only have one handheld router. I was thinking it would be nice to have one dedicated plunge router and one fixed base router. Plus I think the features on the dedicated routers are better than universal kits. For example dust collection on the kits seems to be pretty poor.

Wes

I’ve heard good things about Dewalt’s 621 and was wanting everyone else’s opinions.

I have four different brands of routers and among them is the DeWalt 621. It is a very good unit plus has good dust collection built in. It also has the switch in the handle which I like and can be locked on. One thing that will make it better is to either buy a larger base from Pat Warner or make one yourself as it will be much more stable for handheld work. I do not think that you can go wrong with the 621 considering the total package.

Rennie, I could, but it would cost me around $100 for the base only and I really only have one handheld router. I was thinking it would be nice to have one dedicated plunge router and one fixed base router. Plus I think the features on the dedicated routers are better than universal kits. For example dust collection on the kits seems to be pretty poor.

Wes
Well there you have it then.:thumb: Why didn't you just say you were looking for an excuse to buy a new tool? :rofl: We'd have all understood that!!:D