Today I made the plunge into the DC world.
I picked up the Steel City 1.5 hp Dust Collector. I know 1.5ph isn't much, but I have a small basement shop, and its just me so only one tool will ever be used at any given time.
Some cool features :
- 5 year Warranty
- 1 micron Felt filter bag (washable too!) not the cheapo 30 *Cough, Cough* micron flower sacks that are so common.
- Big industrial power buttons & a breaker on the switch box.
- Bag attachment is very easy! For the filter bag, there are "belt loops" that keep the band clamp held in place. For the plastic chip bag, there are metal retainer clips that hold the plastic bag in place while you put the band clamp on.
- There is no metal cross piece infront of the impeller. (most manufatures have one, and alot of people cut them off, to prevent blockage)
- Came with 3 chip bags, 4 wire band clamps, & a pad lock to secure the power switch from unauthorized use.
I connected it to my garbage can separator. That worked, but there was a noticable lost in suction (not a big suprise there). I think I will save the separator for use with the Joiner and the Planer. Everything else only generates small dust. For the time being I will just use a length of flex hose I picked up from Rockler and move that around the shop. Eventually I will run duct work of some sort.
My next project is a Down Draft "Table". I'll be sure to post the pictures once that gets underway.