Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Gloat - DC

Tool Gloat - DC

Today I made the plunge into the DC world.

I picked up the Steel City 1.5 hp Dust Collector. I know 1.5ph isn't much, but I have a small basement shop, and its just me so only one tool will ever be used at any given time.

Some cool features :
    - 5 year Warranty
    - 1 micron Felt filter bag (washable too!) not the cheapo 30 *Cough, Cough* micron flower sacks that are so common.
    - Big industrial power buttons & a breaker on the switch box.
    - Bag attachment is very easy! For the filter bag, there are "belt loops" that keep the band clamp held in place. For the plastic chip bag, there are metal retainer clips that hold the plastic bag in place while you put the band clamp on.
    - There is no metal cross piece infront of the impeller. (most manufatures have one, and alot of people cut them off, to prevent blockage)
    - Came with 3 chip bags, 4 wire band clamps, & a pad lock to secure the power switch from unauthorized use.

I connected it to my garbage can separator. That worked, but there was a noticable lost in suction (not a big suprise there). I think I will save the separator for use with the Joiner and the Planer. Everything else only generates small dust. For the time being I will just use a length of flex hose I picked up from Rockler and move that around the shop. Eventually I will run duct work of some sort.

My next project is a Down Draft "Table". I'll be sure to post the pictures once that gets underway.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Thumbs up

Nice score Sean
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

Great Gloat Sean, sounds like a winner!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Congrats on the DC, Sean. I'm sure you'll be glad you have it.

I've got a similar (but surely not as well made) DC from Harbor Freight, and it's been a good addition to the shop. (Dunno how I went so long without one.) I did replace my 30 micron bags with a .5 micron filter cartridge from Wynn Environmental. Someday, when the space, money, and amperage are available, I intend to have something more substantial, but for now this is better than a tired ol' Shop Vac.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice score Sean! Your lungs will thank you for it.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 06-08-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

hey Sean, your 1.5 beats my .75! that's right, I have a 3/4 hp jet dc. cute little beasty, can barely keep up with my planer, but that was w/out a chip separator. I need to make a run to Buffalo one of these days. I need a Mighty Taco fix, think I could stop and visit some weekend (after I get my shop up)?
    -Ned

Great score. I take a big hit with my seperator too but the ease of ditching the chips and the long periods between having to remove the bag keeps me here. I use slip-on couplers on a couple tools and can put it in and out of the "circuit" as needed. Mostly its in despite the CFM hit.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    hey Sean, your 1.5 beats my .75! that's right, I have a 3/4 hp jet dc. cute little beasty, can barely keep up with my planer, but that was w/out a chip separator. I need to make a run to Buffalo one of these days. I need a Mighty Taco fix, think I could stop and visit some weekend (after I get my shop up)?
    Ned,

Right now my "weekends" are Thursdays and Fridays I will have off a few Saturdays over the summer. Send me a PM of when you are thinking about making a Buffalo run. I live about 10 minute from a Mighty Taco..... hmmm a super mighty sounds good for lunch today.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Nice, Sean. I have a Delta 50-760 with similar specs, but the Steel City tools are very nice. I have a SCT drill press and mortiser.

Is the input 4" or 5"? Mine is 5" at the impeller, but has 2 4" inputs. If you go directly to the 5" impeller port, the dust in the collector bag swirls like a cyclone and the micron bag fills up very full.

Congrats Sean - I also have a small basement shop my DC is actually a little smaller than yours and it works fine. Looks like some great features and the more I hear about SC, the more I'm impressed. The 5yr warranty speaks volumes. Nice.