Made Something Flat for a Change

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been working on this cutting board off and on for the past few weeks, and finally got it oiled up and a few pics taken. My dad asked me to make it for his sister. Since it's for family, he's getting a good deal on it. ;) I made a similar one for my nephew a few months ago, and Dad wanted my aunt to have one like it.

Jimimie's Board - 02 800.jpg

It's end grain maple, cherry and walnut, 15" x 20" x 1 1/2", soaked for a couple days in mineral oil, then wiped dry with paper and terry cloth towels.

Jimimie's Board - 06 800.jpg

The last picture is an experiment using Photoshop to make a background. I don't really like it, but I figured I'd go ahead and post it just for grins.

Jimimie's Board - 05 800.jpg

Comments, questions, and catcalls are all welcome. :wave:

VERY nice!

I checked to make sure my lovely wife was in the other room before I chanced to open the pics, if she saw these, my bandsaw would be on the back burner for a while :rolleyes: :D

Love the bookmarked endgrain stuff, looks great!

I'm sure your Aunt and your Dad will be pleased!

Cheers!

That looks Great, Vaughn. I even kinda liked the Photoshop thing, except that the lower right corner was a little too bright. I'll bet your Aunt will LOVE it.:thumb:

Almost too nice to cut on. Very nice work. I'd move towards cream to tan colors for your background to set off the colors in the cutting board. Very nice. My first attempt at an end grain board is still sitting in the corner unfinished somewhere. Distractions, distractions.

Vaughn,

I was beginning to wonder if you still knew how to make a straight cut....:rofl:

Your turning pieces are awesome, and this board just shows what a craftsman you are. Very nice piece.

If you just soaked the board in oil, then wiped, will it ever need to be soaked again?

Thanks for the comments and compliments, all. I wish the materials for these boards weren't so expensive locally...I could build and sell more if my costs weren't so high.
...If you just soaked the board in oil, then wiped, will it ever need to be soaked again?
It'll still need need touch-ups from time to time. I have a similar maple board made last December that I use myself, and I re-oiled it -- after a touch-up sanding -- after I got done with this new one (while I have the oil out and the mess in progress in the dining room). I'd guess about every 3 to 6 months it'll need a quick wipe-down of oil.

Thanks again -

Really nice... wow

Wow, Vaughn - that is really a cool looking cutting board. Very nice work.

Would you mind, if you have the time, posting just a little bit about how you made it? I've never made an end grain cutting board but after seeing yours I am certainly motivated to learn more.

BTW, if this already well documented somewhere else, let me know and I'll search it out.

again, looks great.

Wow, Vaughn - that is really a cool looking cutting board. Very nice work.

Would you mind, if you have the time, posting just a little bit about how you made it? I've never made an end grain cutting board but after seeing yours I am certainly motivated to learn more.

BTW, if this already well documented somewhere else, let me know and I'll search it out.

again, looks great.
Tim, I was going through some episodes of Marc Spagnuolo's The Wood Whisperer video series the other night, and he's got a good video the details making an end grain board. He does it about the same way I do it. Here's the first of several episodes.

Tim, I was going through some episodes of Marc Spagnuolo's The Wood Whisperer video series the other night, and he's got a good video the details making an end grain board. He does it about the same way I do it. Here's the first of several episodes.

Oh man, I feel like I've just been introduced to a whole new world here... a world of woodworking podcasts! So cool. :headbang: Somehow, I had missed this trend entirely. So, thanks very much for the link Vaughn.. I really enjoyed Marc's videos on this topic and look forward to catching others.

thanks again!

Now that's something I can relate to Vaughn. :D
I haven't gotten into turning as yet. Although I can't wait to try it.
Beautiful work as usual. :thumb:

DT

Hey Vaughn, Bravo! Like the clean design, I'm saving the pic for inspiration for a future board. I've taken a hiatius from making cutting boards for now since the shop I sold through recently closed and I have an excess inventory:( There's at least 20 stacked next to me as I type. Cheers, Barry