Made Something Flat for a Change

Thanks for the compliments, all. Some of you mentioned you wouldn't want to cut on it. It's surprising how well end grain boards absorb knife marks. I have a maple end grain board I made a while back, and I wasn't happy with the alignment of the joints, so I kept it for myself (After all the boards I've made, this was only the secone one I actually kept.) I've used it quite a bit with good sharp knives (not serrated ones). I gave it a quick rub-down with some mineral oil while I had the oil out doing this recent board, and you can't see a single knife mark.

Vaughn,

As you have done a number of cutting boards, what type of glue do you use that is "food safe"?
I've used Titebond II, and my current preference is Weldwood plastic resin glue. I know Titebond III is specifically FDA approved to food use, but from what I've read, I don't have any concerns about the two types I've used, either. The microscopic amounts that might make it into food just doesn't seem worth being concerned with. If the joints are tight, any food contact is virtually nil. I'm more concerned with things like cross contamination, and that's easy enough to handle by using safe food handling habits in the kitchen. ;)

I know some people have different thoughts on this, but that's my take.