DeWalt 12in Miter Saw Recall

Sean Wright

I found this the other day:

WASHINGTON, D.C.– In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), DEWALT® Industrial Tool Co., of Baltimore, Md., is voluntarily recalling about 112,000 12-inch miter saws (Models DW704 TY1, DW705 TY1), which make angled cuts. Bolts on the saws can loosen and the blade could detach, posing a risk of lacerations to consumers.
DEWALT has received seven reports of consumers with lacerations when the blades on these saws detached.

The recall involves only 12-inch DEWALT miter saws with model numbers DW704 TY1 and DW705 TY1. The model numbers are located on the nameplate on the top of the saw’s housing. The saws are yellow with black accents. The recalled miter saws have date codes from 9201 through 9340. The date code is stamped into the end cap or back of the saws.

Consumers should stop using these saws immediately, and call DEWALT to receive a free replacement bolt to repair the saw. For more information or to order the repair kit, call DEWALT toll-free at (888) 771-4540 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or go to their support web site at support.DEWALT.com.

No other DEWALT miter saws are involved in this recall.

Last edited:
I would guess that TY1 would mean Type 1? I hope so, because on my Model label on the motor housing, it says; DW 705, Type 5, Ser No. 19250, but I did not find any Date group or other numbers stamped or otherwise printed anywhere on the saw.

Does anyone know if my assumption is correct?

Mine said Type 7. The serial number was stamped on the same sticker that said the model and the type. However I did notice a number stamped into the plastic on the top of the end cap of the motor housing. This was the black plastic piece.

Mine said Type 7. The serial number was stamped on the same sticker that said the model and the type. However I did notice a number stamped into the plastic on the top of the end cap of the motor housing. This was the black plastic piece.

Hmmmm.....I know the black piece on the end of the motor, but mine was as slick as.........(well, you know......slick).:rolleyes: :D (Actually, it looked more like a black mylar stickon).

I really don't think mine is affected by this, Buuuuuut, maybe a call to DeWalt Monday just to be on the safe side would be in order. :dunno:

Thanks for the follow up.

Last edited: