Thread: Repair Job

Repair Job

A while back I took a goblet with a segmented type celtic knot to our turning club and they asked if I would demo how to do it. So I glued up the wood and got all ready to do it last thursday. I get pretty nervous when I have to do something like that so I was pretty rattled. Things weren't going too bad and then I got to the skinny section of the stem and hit a spot in the wood where there was a void that I didn't know was in there. The stem broke and that was pretty much the end of the demo. I had a spare piece of wood but not enough time to start over. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, I brought the pieces home and did a salvage job on it today. The cup is ash with wenge for the celtic ring design. I made a base from the ash, drilled a small hole in it and the base of the cup and made a new stem from wenge. 7" tall by 1.75" dia. Deft lacquer finish.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 06-10-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Very nice recovery, Curt. Sorry to hear it blew up in front of an audience. I've had my fair share of on-stage failures -- not turning demos, but presentations and perormances - and all you can do is roll with it and get on to the next part.

Considering how many of these goblets you make that look flawless, it's only a matter of time before the law of averages catches up with you and one of them blows up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice save. I'm sure that was a dissapointment in front of your fellow club members. But, being turners, they understand that wood is a natural product and the unexpected can happen. That is part of the attraction to this insanity.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Great recovery Curt. I always say it just show every one is human and can have mishaps. Looks great Curt.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very attractive piece to my eye. glad to hear someone else uses deft lacquer.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Curt very nice recovery you should bring it back to show that pieces can be saved.
    Ken