Repair Job

Curt Fuller

A while back I took a goblet with a segmented type celtic knot to our turning club and they asked if I would demo how to do it. So I glued up the wood and got all ready to do it last thursday. I get pretty nervous when I have to do something like that so I was pretty rattled. Things weren't going too bad and then I got to the skinny section of the stem and hit a spot in the wood where there was a void that I didn't know was in there. The stem broke and that was pretty much the end of the demo. I had a spare piece of wood but not enough time to start over. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, I brought the pieces home and did a salvage job on it today. The cup is ash with wenge for the celtic ring design. I made a base from the ash, drilled a small hole in it and the base of the cup and made a new stem from wenge. 7" tall by 1.75" dia. Deft lacquer finish.

Attachments

• ash goblet.jpg
    ash goblet.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Very nice recovery, Curt. Sorry to hear it blew up in front of an audience. I've had my fair share of on-stage failures -- not turning demos, but presentations and perormances - and all you can do is roll with it and get on to the next part.

Considering how many of these goblets you make that look flawless, it's only a matter of time before the law of averages catches up with you and one of them blows up. :D

Nice save. I'm sure that was a dissapointment in front of your fellow club members. But, being turners, they understand that wood is a natural product and the unexpected can happen. That is part of the attraction to this insanity.