• I like

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • It's OK

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Jeff Horton

My web site has grown and my menu was getting out of hand. I can see a serious problem in the near future as I add more projects. So I am toying with ideas on how to fix it.

THIS IS JUST A TEST AND JUST ONE PAGE So you don't have to tell me the menu is not working on another page. I know that. And this is compromise. I am trying to avoid having to rewrite each page

So, please visit this THIS PAGE and tell me what you think about the menu. Like it? Love it? Hate it?

I added a poll for the shy ones that lurk on here. :wave:

PS I discovered how to do something I wanted to do just after I posted this. So I deleted this thread, made the changes to the web site and now put it back up.

Last edited:
Just discovered that too.

If Microsoft would follow the standards it would work. But NOOOOO- they have to disregard the standards that everyone else follows and go their own way. :soapbox:

Jeff,

Yes, we've been dealing with this problem since 1994. Wierd to think it's been that long. Remember lynx? ;)

Anyway, the problem is not some coding detail, that will get fixed in any case, the problem is "what are people used to?" Well, for the most part they're used to complex navbars going on the left side... so much so that things across the center almost don't get clicked. Yale's been doing the left side java script rollout thing for a long time, but they've toned it down lately: http://www.yale.edu/

Since your website's going to just keep on growing, you may as well go ahead and make the switch now (it'll be more work if you wait). Unless, of course, you want to go this route, which people have been trying lately: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ . But it's *very* hard to swim agaqinst the tide of user expectations. And web users have far less patience than almost any other kind... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Whatever the problem was, you must have fixed it... or firefox doesn't get the same error. I like the layout, easy to navigate from my point of view.

Jeff,

I don't get the error using FireFox, but the pics on the main page don't load. When you click on "Home" on the menu line, a new window loads with the menus, and subs, line up down the left side of the page ("page" is centered in the window).

Jeff,
The menus work fine on Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux.
The colour though... Don't much like the charcoal grey.

in any case, the problem is "what are people used to?" Well, for the most part they're used to complex navbars going on the left side... so much so that things across the center almost don't get clicked.

Maybe I move in different circles, Bill, but I see plenty of web pages that have menus across the top. (err, like this one!) I don't think "along the left" is at all the same sort of "standard" that it was 5-8 years ago.

There are also lots of totally-flash home pages out there as well - usually in places that sell glitz along with product (ie: most car web sites, movie web sites, and so on). Those are a pain also, difficult to link into.

ttfn
...art

I voted for "It's ok".

I had a chance to visit the old one a few days ago (I don't remember how I stumbled onto it) and I liked it better. If I recall correctly, the menu was at the side with no drop downs?? It was nice and simple ... I like simple.

cheers

Thanks guys. I have not had a chance to look at it. Just going to take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on. Not going to try to address everyone's comments, but I appreciate the input. Just a couple of comments.

The photos don't show, but I knew that.

I agree on the colors Art but it's just a test.

John, I like what I have now too. But in a few months the menu is going to be longer than the pages without some changes. So it has to change somehow!

OK, thank again. Will see if I can find the problem but I have my doubts on this one.