This is a hard thing to accept.

Bart Leetch

I have the hard task emotionally of going to pick up almost all my Dad's tools next week end. While I'll enjoy having them it hard seeing Dad at 85 not have them or a place to use them anymore. Most of the tools will be stored except the Bell-saw planer which will be in my shop. I already have most of these tools except the shapers & will store them so I can wheel them down to the shop for use if need be.

I think it may do your dad's heart some good to know that he has been able to pass those items along and that they will be taken care of. All the best.

Bart, I know where you're coming from. My Dad's not quite as old as your's, but, a couple years ago, he started handing out tools. I've got his RAS, Makita hand power planer, small welder, and some other small thinks. He gave some tools to guys up at the lake that he knew I didn't need and they could use. He kept a few things to putter around with. His eyes are getting pretty bad, and he is smart enough to know that poor eyesight and power tools don't always mix too well. But you are absolutely right that it is a hard event to work through. Jim.

Bart,

Yep, it's tough...but I had an even tougher time after Dad passed on, and I picked up a tool to use....and remembered him and how much I missed him. Spend as much time as you can with him, and use the tools as much now as you can.

Bart, I'm betting it'll please him that you're getting use out of the tools, instead of having them sit idle in his shop.

I took several of my Dad's tools last time I was back home, mostly pliers and such, but a few woodworking tools that I used as a kid, too. He's to the point where he's not able to do most home repairs -- which was all he really ever did with tools -- so he really didn't need them anymore. He also gave me his pickup, which was much more significant to both of us. As much as he loved the truck, he's to the point where he can't drive a stick shift (shouldn't be driving anything, IMHO), and he was happier seeing me get use out of it than having it sit in his driveway doing nothing. I make it a point to let him know each time the truck helps me out. He gets a big kick out of seeing his old truck loaded down with turning wood. I'm guessing your dad will get similar pleasure seeing things you build with his tools.

Bart I know that feeling well.

I inherited most of my grandfather's tools and about a year before he died we went through them, loaded them up and took them home. It was a very sad day indeed. He tried saving some of his favorite tools for quite some time, like his bandsaw and drill press, but after a few months I had to come and get those too because he was just not well enough to do woodworking anymore.

It's hard to see someone give up something they love. I will say this though, some of my fondest memories were of that day. He had a basement shop so struggling to get those tools up those stairs was not easy, but we did it. Along the way we somehow bonded even more.

well i am not there yet but !

its gettun close, dad is 76 and hes not what he used to be. but i have learnd from my time with him to use every minute i can to see him or do something with him.. he's gonna be right over here, every night i am building the new shop and if he helps good if sets and supervises fine as well at least he's still a part of it.. he was the one who prodded me to go for the new shop the most. he pudders in wood working and has gotten better threw his projects and enjoys helping me or any other out when he can.. so i do understand bart and give you a big thumbs up for being there for your father!!:thumb: :thumb:

Bart,
Treasure those tools, even the ones you already own versions of, as I'm sure you will. Be assured, that you are NOT alone in dealing with aging parents. My father is still relatively spry, though his COPD is slowing him down quite a bit. He's not a woodworker, but he IS an inveterate tinkerer. He keeps buying tools with the intent to pass them down to me someday. Case in point, he upgraded his drill/driver set to the then-new Dewalt 36v Li Ion kit. I got his old Ryobi kit and he's been having a ball with the Dewalt, so I frequently remind him that I want him to wear that sucker right out. (my thought being if he wears it out, he's been Around to use it well for a long time), and that I'm in no hurry to receive the tools etc...

Yes, there is some angst involved in taking them over from him, but look at it as continuing the stewardship of them, if that makes any sense. All the best to you and your family.

Bart, like some of the others have said and I'll just echo them....your dad is most likely to pass them on to you and knows you will take care of them and cherish them.

Two years ago my dad started handing me stuff that my grandfather gave to him...now it is my job when the time comes to pass them on to my sons.

Enjoy, and remember.

I'm still in good health but, living in a retirement community, I realize that any day I could become incapacitated. My daughter doesn't live nearby and my son has no interest in the things that are important to me and my wife. I'm sure he would call the local auctioneer and sell everything at a penny, or less, on the dollar just to clean out the place.