Dewalt lunchbox planer - SOLD!

Marty Walsh

As some of you might have seen, I finally got my lunchbox planer out of 'storage'. With that behemoth of a MiniMax Planer, I no longer have a need for the Dewalt.

I'm putting it up here for sale first, with a reduced price for any 'family member' that might be able to benefit. If there's no interest, the price will be increased and it'll go on Craigslist/eBay.

So, here's what I have. A Dewalt 734 12" planer. It's probably 8-10 years old. It's the older style, with the (preferred) foldable handle on top. It works great, has relatively new knives already installed. And comes with a brand new set of knives.

I'm selling it WITH the cabinet you see in the pictures below. The cabinet was a 'salvage' from a rebuild I did. I added a double 3/4" ply top, and then a set of divided drawers made from 1/2" baltic to the one side of the cabinet.

Price... $250 including knives and cabinet.

Caveat, NO SHIPPING! It's too heavy, and I just don't have the time/desire to build a crate for it. Sorry...You must come here and pick it up...or I can meet someone within 100 miles.

Here are some pictures:

DSCN6546.jpg . DSCN6547.jpg

DSCN6548.jpg . DSCN6549.jpg

DSCN6550.jpg

Amazon currently has these things going for $389. so I think $250, with knives and a mobile cabinet, should be fair...:dunno:

PM if you're interested.

Thanks...
- Marty -

Heck of a deal, Marty!

This is a damb fine planer in it's size group. It's everything you want in a planer ... heavy, loud as heck, and has a healthy appetite.

If you've been lookin for a planer, Marty's givin you one heckfire of a deal - especially since he's already proven that it was assembled correctly! :D

Marty,

Thats a great deal:thumb: , unfortunatly I just got a Delta 13in 2 speed about 2 years ago, and I wouldn't be about to swing a trip to Georga :(

Question for you, did the dust chute come with it, or was it an extra? It looks very similar to the one that I had to get as an accessory for my Delta.

sorry Marty, a) I'm too far from you for local pickup, and b) I've got my own 734. HOwever, that is one heckuva nice lunchbox for anyone starting out. I used a friend's 733 awhile back, he kept his as a backup in case his 15" woodmizer was set up in saw mode. John's old delta went south one day on us, and my buddy graciously loaned us his 733 until we could replace it.

Anyone looking to tool up, you'd be crazy not to jump on this deal.

Folks...

I don't think this changes much, but Ned's comments about borrowing a DW733 prompted me to look closer at the planer. It turns out that what I have is the DW733, NOT THE DW734.

It appears that the main difference is three knives versus two on the 733, as well as disposable knives on the 734.

Reading the customer reviews in this Amazon listing, it appears that some favor the 733 over the 734...:huh:

All in all, I still think it's a good planer...and worth my asking price. If this changes anyone's decision or opinion, I apologize.:doh:

Sean,

I'm pretty sure the dust chute came with the planer...but I don't recall for sure...:dunno: And since I now know that I have the 733, not the 734, that might account for the additional charge you experienced...:dunno:

- Marty -

Marty,
I'll take it,I'm just across the river from Elberton,Ga.I can come down any day this week.Sending PM with more info.
Dave

Dave,

I'm sending you a PM.

But please note my update above. I've determined that the planer I'm selling is a DW733, not DW734 as first listed. My bad...:doh:

- Marty -

I'm told that the 733 is still one H-E-DoubleHockeyStick of a planer for the money. I think you hit on the only differences. The 733 got incredible reviews in many magazines in it's "day". The 734 is bread from the 733 and it has DANG fine roots :)

Marty,
count me as one of those who prefer the 733, ONLY because of the blades, the 734 uses the same blade as the 735, and while easy to change, they're basically a consumable item. I have several sets on hand, but I'd rather be able to sharpen and reuse them. Great little lunchbox just the same. Heavy beastie though isn't it?

Marty,
count me as one of those who prefer the 733, ONLY because of the blades, the 734 uses the same blade as the 735, and while easy to change, they're basically a consumable item. I have several sets on hand, but I'd rather be able to sharpen and reuse them. Great little lunchbox just the same. Heavy beastie though isn't it?

Not too heavy Ned. Dave and I each grabbed one of the slide-out handles and carried it out to his van! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, the planer's been sold! Dave Willis and his grandson Corey came down from South Carolina and picked it up. I've posted pics of the visit here in the Off Topic forum.

Thanks for visiting Dave and Corey, and good luck with the planer. It served me well, and I'm sure it'll do the same for you!

- Marty -

Folks...

I don't think this changes much, but Ned's comments about borrowing a DW733 prompted me to look closer at the planer. It turns out that what I have is the DW733, NOT THE DW734.

I don't think anyone should worry about that at the great price you're offering. I borrowed a DW733 and that led me to buy my DW734. The 733 is a great planer and does a very nice job. I just got the 734 because it was available (on sale) when I went looking.