Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Vegas Trip This Time

No Vegas Trip This Time

No free Vegas trip this season.

I spent about 11 hours Saturday, and about 6 more on Sunday, attending and playing in the regional tournament for our 8-ball pool league team. Our league is part of the American Poolplayers Association (APA), and it's comprised of thousands of teams across the country. Our region covers parts of LA county, and all of Ventura county...about 240 or so teams total. After a season of strong competition at our local level, we qualified for the Regional Playoffs, held this weekend. We made it to the third tier of a four-tier tournament before we lost this evening, but we were one of only 16 teams to go to the semifinals. Not too bad for a couple old hippies, a 50+ year old biker gal, a couple old yuppies and an airheaded chick in her 20's. The final outcome ends up with 4 winning teams, each of which gets to play in the Nationals in Las Vegas. We were this close |-| to getting into the finals tonight. It was down to the wire, but we got beaten by a better team. So no Vegas for us this year.

This was my first time playing at this level of competition, and it was a fun, but pretty stressful weekend. A lot more intense than our weekly local league matches. Our league uses a "skill level" handicap system, and often a lesser player goes up against a better player, but the better player must win more games in order to win the match. Personally, I'm in the middle of the pack -- a "4" in a rating system that goes from 1 to 7. I lost a match to another 4 yesterday, beat a 5 after a tough fight last night, and let a victory against a 6 just barely slip through my fingers this afternoon. I had made miracle comeback against a much better player, and missed one key shot at the end. (Missed the shot but left the cue ball in perfect position for my next shot on the 8 ball, which would have won the match. I hate it when that happens.)

And aside from buffing out a hollow form, no woodworking this weekend.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    No free Vegas trip this season.

(Missed the shot but left the cue ball in perfect position for my next shot on the 8 ball, which would have won the match. I hate it when that happens.)

And aside from buffing out a hollow form, no woodworking this weekend.
    Whatcha mean, no woodworking? Sounds to me like you spent ALL weekend "Polishing Hand Made Que Sticks".............(Finishing is considered Wood Working).

Ah but to enjoy the fruits of a Mispent Youth.

Case

Sounds great and congrats!

...but who had the best que case????

I bet you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    Sounds great and congrats!

...but who had the best que case????

I bet you did.
    Maybe not the best, but definitely the most unique. I got a lot of positive comments and compliments from other players about the case. Even the guy with the Zero Halliburton aluminum flight case was impressed. I may not have looked that good on the tables, but I looked great arriving and leaving the tourney.

Pardon the repeat, but for those who haven't seen it, this is what Pete and I are talking about. It's a pool cue case I made for myself last year...

Attachment 9656 Attachment 9660 Attachment 9658 Attachment 9659 Attachment 9661

workingwoods.com

Congratulations on your team for doing as well as you did - and I am certain that you had the best looking cue case.
    Cheers, Frank

Pool Case

Vaughn also did 98% of the work on a similar pool que case last year which was a Christmas present for my Son. I did a little inlay work on it. My Son still mentions it often and gets a lot of nice remarks about it.

Maybe we should start on a solid wood turned Golf Bag....poor caddy, if we do this one. Maybe lignum vitae??

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Not too bad for a couple old hippies, a 50+ year old biker gal, a couple old yuppies and an airheaded chick in her 20's.
    Hrrmmmm.... Vaughn = Hippie, or Vaughn = Yuppie...

Can't make up my mind.
    (The Lexus pushes me toward Yuppie, but hey, it ain't a Volvo, so I'm not definite... )

And really, how much of an airhead could your sixth team member be if you all came that >< close to going to vegas? I'm trying to imagine how being an airhead goes with being good at pool.

...art

What kind of Wood & Finish?

Vaughn,

Sorry to hear about no Vegas trip this year.

Thats sure is a nice cue case!

What kind of wood is it made out of? Also what finish did you use?
    Was there any reason that you used box joints instead of dove tails? Was it because of how thin the case is?
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Hrrmmmm.... Vaughn = Hippie, or Vaughn = Yuppie...

Can't make up my mind.
    (The Lexus pushes me toward Yuppie, but hey, it ain't a Volvo, so I'm not definite... )

And really, how much of an airhead could your sixth team member be if you all came that >< close to going to vegas? I'm trying to imagine how being an airhead goes with being good at pool.

...art
    For us, about the only distinguishing factor between the hippies and yuppies is hair length. We're all going gray. And the biker gal probably has the best household income...she drives a Lexus like mine when she's not on her Harley. (She's about 4' 11", maybe 90 pounds soaking wet, and a real sparkplug of a person. She's our team captain, too.)

Regards the airhead girl, she's got us all baffled. She does everything wrong form-wise, and yet the pool balls keep falling in the pockets when she shoots. She's real nice, but just not the sharpest plane in the till.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    Vaughn,

Sorry to hear about no Vegas trip this year.

Thats sure is a nice cue case!

What kind of wood is it made out of? Also what finish did you use?
    Was there any reason that you used box joints instead of dove tails? Was it because of how thin the case is?
    Thanks Sean. The case is quilted maple and jatoba, with purpleheart 'pinstripes'. The top and bottom are matched (sliced from the same 3/4" boards). It's got so many coats of lacquer I lost count (mostly spray-can, but some brushed), then wet sanded and rubbed out by hand with automotive polishing compound. You're right about the box joints...I was concerned that 3/8" thick material (slightly less, actually) wouldn't be enough for strong dovetails. Plus, I was better set up for the box joints.

workingwoods.com

Bummer!

You can always come to ABQ and play on my table!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response