No Vegas Trip This Time

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
No free Vegas trip this season. :(

I spent about 11 hours Saturday, and about 6 more on Sunday, attending and playing in the regional tournament for our 8-ball pool league team. Our league is part of the American Poolplayers Association (APA), and it's comprised of thousands of teams across the country. Our region covers parts of LA county, and all of Ventura county...about 240 or so teams total. After a season of strong competition at our local level, we qualified for the Regional Playoffs, held this weekend. We made it to the third tier of a four-tier tournament before we lost this evening, but we were one of only 16 teams to go to the semifinals. Not too bad for a couple old hippies, a 50+ year old biker gal, a couple old yuppies and an airheaded chick in her 20's. The final outcome ends up with 4 winning teams, each of which gets to play in the Nationals in Las Vegas. We were this close |-| to getting into the finals tonight. It was down to the wire, but we got beaten by a better team. So no Vegas for us this year.

This was my first time playing at this level of competition, and it was a fun, but pretty stressful weekend. A lot more intense than our weekly local league matches. Our league uses a "skill level" handicap system, and often a lesser player goes up against a better player, but the better player must win more games in order to win the match. Personally, I'm in the middle of the pack -- a "4" in a rating system that goes from 1 to 7. I lost a match to another 4 yesterday, beat a 5 after a tough fight last night, and let a victory against a 6 just barely slip through my fingers this afternoon. I had made miracle comeback against a much better player, and missed one key shot at the end. :bang: (Missed the shot but left the cue ball in perfect position for my next shot on the 8 ball, which would have won the match. I hate it when that happens.)

And aside from buffing out a hollow form, no woodworking this weekend. :eek:

No free Vegas trip this season. :(

:bang: (Missed the shot but left the cue ball in perfect position for my next shot on the 8 ball, which would have won the match. I hate it when that happens.)

And aside from buffing out a hollow form, no woodworking this weekend. :eek:

Whatcha mean, no woodworking?:huh: Sounds to me like you spent ALL weekend "Polishing Hand Made Que Sticks".............(Finishing is considered Wood Working).:doh: :D

Ah but to enjoy the fruits of a Mispent Youth.:D

Sounds great and congrats!

...but who had the best que case????

I bet you did.
Maybe not the best, but definitely the most unique. I got a lot of positive comments and compliments from other players about the case. Even the guy with the Zero Halliburton aluminum flight case was impressed. ;) I may not have looked that good on the tables, but I looked great arriving and leaving the tourney. :p

Pardon the repeat, but for those who haven't seen it, this is what Pete and I are talking about. It's a pool cue case I made for myself last year...

Cue Case 1 800 LR.jpg Cue Case 2 800 LR.jpg Cue Case 3 800 LR.jpg Cue Case 4 800 LR.jpg Cue Case 5 800 LR.jpg

Pool Case

Vaughn also did 98% of the work on a similar pool que case last year which was a Christmas present for my Son. I did a little inlay work on it. My Son still mentions it often and gets a lot of nice remarks about it.

Maybe we should start on a solid wood turned Golf Bag....poor caddy, if we do this one. Maybe lignum vitae??

Not too bad for a couple old hippies, a 50+ year old biker gal, a couple old yuppies and an airheaded chick in her 20's.

Hrrmmmm.... Vaughn = Hippie, or Vaughn = Yuppie... :huh:

Can't make up my mind.
(The Lexus pushes me toward Yuppie, but hey, it ain't a Volvo, so I'm not definite... :rofl: )

And really, how much of an airhead could your sixth team member be if you all came that >< close to going to vegas? I'm trying to imagine how being an airhead goes with being good at pool.

...art ;)

What kind of Wood & Finish?

Vaughn,

Sorry to hear about no Vegas trip this year. :(

Thats sure is a nice cue case! :thumb:

What kind of wood is it made out of? Also what finish did you use?
Was there any reason that you used box joints instead of dove tails? Was it because of how thin the case is?

Hrrmmmm.... Vaughn = Hippie, or Vaughn = Yuppie... :huh:

Can't make up my mind.
(The Lexus pushes me toward Yuppie, but hey, it ain't a Volvo, so I'm not definite... :rofl: )

And really, how much of an airhead could your sixth team member be if you all came that >< close to going to vegas? I'm trying to imagine how being an airhead goes with being good at pool.

...art ;)
For us, about the only distinguishing factor between the hippies and yuppies is hair length. ;) We're all going gray. :D And the biker gal probably has the best household income...she drives a Lexus like mine when she's not on her Harley. (She's about 4' 11", maybe 90 pounds soaking wet, and a real sparkplug of a person. She's our team captain, too.)

Regards the airhead girl, she's got us all baffled. She does everything wrong form-wise, and yet the pool balls keep falling in the pockets when she shoots. :huh: She's real nice, but just not the sharpest plane in the till.

Vaughn,

Sorry to hear about no Vegas trip this year. :(

Thats sure is a nice cue case! :thumb:

What kind of wood is it made out of? Also what finish did you use?
Was there any reason that you used box joints instead of dove tails? Was it because of how thin the case is?
Thanks Sean. The case is quilted maple and jatoba, with purpleheart 'pinstripes'. The top and bottom are matched (sliced from the same 3/4" boards). It's got so many coats of lacquer I lost count (mostly spray-can, but some brushed), then wet sanded and rubbed out by hand with automotive polishing compound. You're right about the box joints...I was concerned that 3/8" thick material (slightly less, actually) wouldn't be enough for strong dovetails. Plus, I was better set up for the box joints.

Hey Vaughn...long time no type.

You posted a subject I have multitudes of experience with so I feel obligated to answer your question. (was there a question?):huh:

I've played in local APA leagues for years...Claim to fame...I've lost to a 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7...but NEVER a 2.:D

Our team qualified for the Vegas trip twice....Playing pool all day and all night for what seems like weeks is not my ideal way to spend time in Vegas. Much rather visit the M&M museum.:thumb: That place is awesome.

Biker chick/team captain sounds like a hoot and reminds me of my first girlfriend.

Hippies & Yuppies shootin pool...nothin unusual about that.

Airhead girl....almost EVERY team I have ever been on or played against has "airhead girl". I think it's in the APA bylaws. I think the reason they are able to pocket so many shots is because their mind is not cluttered with all those "stroke it nice and smooth" thoughts. Their pre-shot thoughts are more like....

Dodedodedo..I think I'll aim at that pretty yellow ball with the nice ribbon stripe around it. Oh look at that...it hit that pink ball went all the way around the table, glanced off that blue ball and rolled right into the little hole in the corner of the table...Hope we can find it. Oh look at that cute dude over there...I think he's checking me out....:p

"Hey airhead...it's still your shot".:mad:

Now what was your question??? Oh yes..just to confirm....It is definitely more important to LOOK better coming & going than to shoot well. I'm sure it's a struggle for YOU but that nice original McMillan designed case pulls you over the top.:D

Wow John, you've not only been there /done that, you've got the t-shirt and the 32 oz. sports bottle to go with. :thumb: I was wondering if there were any other APA'ers here. It's great seeing your experiences, and how similar they are to mine (and a lot of other folks', I'm sure). I have been beaten by a 2. :D First APA match ever, playing a little old lady who had to stop and rest halfway as she walked around the table. I scratched on an 8 ball, and she made one after a good run. Done for the night. :doh:

Our airhead girl is pretty serious about her pool playing, and does try to play with good strategy. She's got a good eye, but her cue ball control is horrendous and she pretty much refuses to shoot softly, saying she misses too much if she does. One of these slamma-jamma girls who may or may not make the intended shot, but will either drop another ball, or accidentally leave the opponent completely hung up and unable to shoot anything. :dunno:

As an update, I learned Monday night that one of the other teams from our local area went on to win their bracket, so they'll be going to Vegas. They beat the team that knocked us out. And we beat them last week in regular season play. ;) Just goes to show that on any given night, anyone can win.

I actually DO have several T-shirts and some hats but never got my 32 oz bottle....bummer.

I quit playing as a regular on my team several years ago...about the same time I started getting serious about woodworking.:thumb: Still go and hang out now & then but only when I want to,,,not because I have too.

Pool players & fans here in Charlotte, NC are very lucky. Many of the top ranked woman pro players either live close by and/or own pool halls...errrr,,,,I think we call them billiard establishments now. Other top ranked players come here often to practice and shoot matches against the other pro ladies to get into "tournament" shape. Pool is very popular here so per capita, we have very many fine tables available.

It's cool to watch some of the BEST amateur men players around, guys that would kill most APA 7's, challenge the pro ladies. The ladies win almost every time.:D
(and always with cash on the table)

If I ever get out to the LA area it would be a hoot meeting you to jam guitars & shoot pool. Oh...and I guess I'd have to tour your shop...you still got that green carpet??? :D

And if you're ever in Charlotte, I'd introduce you to something we call...."sweet tea".