How much you guys paying for Walnut.......?

Truth is, cost of lumber is largely driven by transportation costs. Close to where it grows, it's relatively cheap. The further away you go the more $$$ it will be.

Don,

I guess you guys get walnut cheaper in the desert since walnut trees are so plentiful out there! :doh: :dunno:

The US government decided that sapwood wasn't a flaw, you can get a pure sapwood board and shouldn't complain. They also recently changed the standards so that a 5 foot long board is as good as the one that previously had to be 8 foot minimum. Try telling someone who wanted a nice brown piece of furniture that white is just as good. Or try building a 7 foot tall cabinet or 6 foot long table. So in my area the price of walnut (just over $4 for 4/4 under 8 inches wide) hasn't gone up much, but the quality has dropped to bordering on unusable.

There is also a saying, "When you buy a steak, you also pay for the bone" so I have never been given a break for knots, etc.

For wood as nice as yours looks, don't be too upset! If I need a really good piece I often buy from specialty shops rather than lumber yards, and pay several times as much...not the price you paid (yet), but still absurd.