Mahogany Screen Porch

And so no lonely mosquito could get in, I stapled screening under the 12 by 18' deck.... here's the pic.

Everything is mahogany, the door is 1 1/8" thick mahogany - as well as the side panels that run floor to ceiling beside the door.

There are 15 premeasured panels in the porch, aluminum frame and screen that were custom ordered.

Everthing is screwed in with either stainless steel or brass. The panels - the last close - up are hand screwed together with brass screws and grommets, for easy removal and take down for winter.

This was my first "construction" type project, and the deck railing was a first for me - I hired another contractor to help me with that. The screen porch portion felt more like cabinetmaking, and I most likely made it more complicated than it had to be, but the results were worth it.

I know that I haven't been around, but I do check in here. Lots of good stuff going on over here.

Thanks!
Gail

Wow Gail, that sure looks like a nice spot to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon! :thumb:

Very nice looking wood too.

Glad to see you around, hope you can check in more often, we always enjoy seeing what you are doing! :wave:

Cheers!

WOW,

What a treat to get to work with that much hardwood.

That's the 1st screened in porch I would like to have.

I cannot image the cost !

Did you mill the wood or were you able to find good milling for that much wood.

Did you do all of this on site?

Thanks all! The lumber for the door and side panels alone was over $500.00 - this was a very expensive project. The finish on it is Penofin, was easy to work with. I did everything in the shop - milled all of the panel stock - even calculated the screen sizes prior, the installation was on site - 2 days.

Thanks again.
Gail

Wow, another beautiful job, Gail. I like the grommeted screws on the panels. Just shows great attention to detail.

Thanks for dropping in...don't be a stranger. We love to see your work. :thumb:

I sure agree on that, I Love detail.
That is something you will be proud of for years to come Gail.
Wonderful work! :thumb:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DT

Gail, that sure is one handsome porch!!! Really REALLY nice work. I love the brass screws and gromits. That's a very nice look, and a great idea. It'd be just the place to relax and enjoy a frosty beverage on a lazy summer day.

You mentioned you used Penofin (?) for the finish. I did some quick research, and there seems to be a variety of different mixes. Which one did you decide on?

Gail

Great work as usual! Did the commission you to build winter storage racks as well? Don't want to scratch up that nice finish piling them together!:D

Thanks so much for the post, and I echo Vaughn's comments, come around more often!

Any update on the TV show?

Jay