Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Barn siding source?

New Barn siding source?

Anyone in the Central NY area know of a mill where I can pick up some nice roughsawn Hemlock? I've decided to go with that for board and batten styling on the new shop. I'm either going to stain it 'barn red' or a nice medium forest green, depending on the input from the Design Committee. The house is green, so guess what the 'Committee' is likely to say?
    -Ned

Ned,

I can't help you too much with the mill, however I know that a few years ago there was one in Arcade on Rt 39. Don't know too much about it, or even if it is still in business, but if you are in Arcade, it is almost across the street from McDonalds.

As far as the color, i'm partial to a hunter/forest green.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

The place is called Yansiks lumber. The are not in that location anymore, but a search will find them. If need to I can get there phone# for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    The place is called Yansiks lumber. The are not in that location anymore, but a search will find them. If need to I can get there phone# for you.
    Thanks Al! I used to drive past it when I would be coming home from school on the weekends..... quite a few years back. I never stopped in, but that was before I was much in to woodworking.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

There is a Spinks Sawmill in Camden. I am unsure if they have Hemlock. A friend of mine has used them for several of his house remodeling projects including rough sawn lumber. I believe the are on Wolcott Hill Road.

Here is an ad I found for them.

http://www.tcriders.com/sponsors.html#spinks

Question upkeep

ned you must realize that your gonna have to stain or paint that barn every so often and that can get costly over time let alone having to watch out for the trim work... got board and batten on the house and garge and was looking at doing it on the shop but the idea of upkeep has got looking into other materials now.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ned you must realize that your gonna have to stain or paint that barn every so often and that can get costly over time let alone having to watch out for the trim work... got board and batten on the house and garge and was looking at doing it on the shop but the idea of upkeep has got looking into other materials now.
    Larry, yep, I'm aware of the upkeep. this is a Barn, and to me a Barn should have board and batten siding. Besides, it won't be That much of a pain to re-paint/stain etc... it just won't be that BIG. Besides, I'm expecting it to be my starter shop, good for a few years at the most. I'll repaint when we're looking to sell, then it becomes the new owner's problem.

and having said that, I realize that it might become a selling point issue... more thought will be required on that. Hrmmmm. Right now I'm still leaning toward 'old school'. (with tyvek underneath)
    -Ned

I like board and batten siding so I think it is a good choice. I got board and batten siding on my shop, although it is Spruce instead of Hemlock. Now don't get me wrong there, I would have chosen Hemlock over Spruce any day, but I had some really nice Spruce trees that were easy to get to with my small tractor..so down they came. You can check out that woodlot harvest HERE if you wish.

Now my Grandfather just plain loved Hemlock. Build it out of Hemlock, he would always say, and this was from a guy that used to fell trees back in the day with an axe and crosscut saw. He knew what he was talking about. Hemlock is heavy, but resists rot pretty well and is very stout. Drive a nail in hemlock when its wet, then try and remove it after the wood dries. The wood will shatter before the nail is pulled out. It has real nail holding power.

As for Board and Batten siding, I think its a great choice for shops because it makes for nice sheathing, and should you ever decide to cover it, you have a slew of options and you can just cover it right up.

My Father-in-law and I just had a big argument on siding, and I got him so mad that he got up and left the table. I can hold my own in an argument, so when he said I was stupid for putting on cedar shingles instead of Vinyl, I made it known that I was not going to live in a plastic house. That put him in his place, but when I mentioned our dependence on foreign oil and plastic building products being a part of that problem, well I think that was what made him leave the table. Maybe its the woodworker in me, or maybe its the logger, but either way I just hate the latest trend of using plastic in building products. Maintaining wood siding like board and batten, cedar shingles or even log siding can be time consuming, but at the same time working around the house is very gratifying for me.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

When can ya travis

get me 2000 bd ft of your hemlock in 1x10 deliverd to michigan????/ cuz i too like board and batten but after awhile it gets to eb pain stainun it and not gettin it one the facia and soffet!!! i havent completly decided to go plastic and you have some very good popints on the oil aspect of it... thought some of the cedar shingles but ckd with insurance that made the answer easy on that one they wernt thrilled with that idea but would for a large price.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

2000 board feet, why sure if you lived a bit closer perhaps. That is only about four cords of Hemlock, so yeah I got plenty of it.

Hemlock was often used for flooring by the old duffers. You often find it in the back rooms and bedrooms of older homes, at least here in Maine anyway. My wifes house, which is a Cape Cod style house in Tennants Harbor has Hemlock floors. I guess it held up pretty well and was easy and cheap to obtain back then.

Myself I used Hemlock in my house. I used it for framing material and never regretted it...well after it was put up anyway. Man is that wood HEAVY. I think that is why Spruce is so prevalent for framing lumber these days. Its light weight and comes in a lot bigger logs, and more in quantity to boot. Still, talk to the old timers and they will tell you, Hemlock is where its at.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"