Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what happened to the CarveWright?

So what happened to the CarveWright?

…The $1800 benchtop CNC carving machine. It was all the rage when it debuted a couple of years ago. Man, I really wanted one but decided to wait & see. It has been ages since even hearing the name, did they go belly up?
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

carvewright is now selling through sears and calling it compucarve. They also sell off of their own website. After much beta testing, firmware and hardware issues... they have a nicely built machine that will do most cnc functions. I have been following them closely... wanting to get one. I understand their saving grace is their service. The people there and in product testing are great to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by doug mcginnis View Post
    carvewright is now selling through sears and calling it compucarve.
    A couple of days ago I saw a Sears TV ad showing the compucarve. I was shocked.

I was also very interested in the CarveWright when it first came out, but couldn't justify the cost for my needs. I also noticed the initial buzz had died down, but heard somewhere a while back that Sears was selling it under their own label. I had heard about the good service the CarveWright folks were providing, just as Doug mentioned. (BTW, welcome aboard, Doug.)

Allen, my MIL saw the TV commercial for the CompuCarve a few days ago and mentioned it to me. She's 84 and not quite firing on all 8 cylinders anymore, so she has absolutely no idea how any of this woodworking stuff works, but she saw a commercial, and they said "woodworking", so she made a note about it so she'd remember to ask me about the tool. She was real proud of herself, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I know a couple of guys on a different forum, no, not that one, that have it, and it has been a real money maker for them. I was going to get one, as it would do the 2-bit characters that the Japanese writing is made up of, I downloaded the software and gave it a whirl, I even had the LOML's go ahead, but the guys with the unit in the US who have done well with it cautioned me to wait, as they did have some hardware and firmware issues.

Still on my "Want" list, but I'll wait a bit more for the second or third gen units to come out.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I think that is on just about everyone's 'want' list. In the meantime, I'll have to do some of what the Compucarve will do with my Terrco 200. The difference between the two is about the same as a medieval trebuchet and an F22.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I think that is on just about everyone's 'want' list. In the meantime, I'll have to do some of what the Compucarve will do with my Terrco 200. The difference between the two is about the same as a medieval trebuchet and an F22.
    Frank, what's a tree bucket?
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Frank, what's a tree bucket?
    Here ya go Bruce, I just think you read it wrong.
    Rise above the rest

..................and with moving pictures.........

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Bruce, thanks for a good chuckle.
    Frenchie word, roughly pronounced: tray-boo-shay
    And, yes, the mechanics are not too different than the Terrco. Balanced swinging arms and unpredictable results.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire