So what happened to the CarveWright?

Bruce Page

…The $1800 benchtop CNC carving machine. It was all the rage when it debuted a couple of years ago. Man, I really wanted one but decided to wait & see. It has been ages since even hearing the name, did they go belly up?

carvewright is now selling through sears and calling it compucarve. They also sell off of their own website. After much beta testing, firmware and hardware issues... they have a nicely built machine that will do most cnc functions. I have been following them closely... wanting to get one. I understand their saving grace is their service. The people there and in product testing are great to deal with.

I was also very interested in the CarveWright when it first came out, but couldn't justify the cost for my needs. I also noticed the initial buzz had died down, but heard somewhere a while back that Sears was selling it under their own label. I had heard about the good service the CarveWright folks were providing, just as Doug mentioned. (BTW, welcome aboard, Doug.) :wave:

Allen, my MIL saw the TV commercial for the CompuCarve a few days ago and mentioned it to me. She's 84 and not quite firing on all 8 cylinders anymore, so she has absolutely no idea how any of this woodworking stuff works, but she saw a commercial, and they said "woodworking", so she made a note about it so she'd remember to ask me about the tool. She was real proud of herself, too. ;)

I know a couple of guys on a different forum, no, not that one, that have it, and it has been a real money maker for them. I was going to get one, as it would do the 2-bit characters that the Japanese writing is made up of, I downloaded the software and gave it a whirl, I even had the LOML's go ahead, but the guys with the unit in the US who have done well with it cautioned me to wait, as they did have some hardware and firmware issues.

Still on my "Want" list, but I'll wait a bit more for the second or third gen units to come out.

Cheers!

I think that is on just about everyone's 'want' list. In the meantime, I'll have to do some of what the Compucarve will do with my Terrco 200. The difference between the two is about the same as a medieval trebuchet and an F22.

Bruce, thanks for a good chuckle. :laugh2:
Frenchie word, roughly pronounced: tray-boo-shay
And, yes, the mechanics are not too different than the Terrco. Balanced swinging arms and unpredictable results.

Trebuchet, french. Punkin-chucker, English!!

I've been interested in the CarveWright, too. The thing looks like just the tool to pretty-up a drawer front or small cabinet door. I'm concerned that it can only take small stock, but at the price....well, It's a heck of a lot more feasible to have an $1800 tool in my shop than a $10,000 computer laser carving machine.

I'll have to stop in at Sears sometime and see if they have the machine there. It'd be interesting to see if they (a) have it and (b) know anything about it.

I guess I should of posted this in my earlier post, but I do have a Carvewright. I mostly got it to enhance or dress up my projects a little bit, while others use it for sign making and other things.

Below is the best pic I have right now of somethng I have done with it but you can't really see anything in detail but its there (its on the front piece). I haven't used it a lot but this is mostly because I haven't been able to woodwork much lately or the projects I did make wouldn't handle any carving on them. I do have an oval picture frame I will hopefully get to do this weekend.

The attached thumbnail is what it looked like in the design software. The print screen program I use messed with the colors of the thumbnail.

Attachments

• carve.jpg
    carve.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thanks Aaron. I wanted one for the same reasons – basically to play around with. I’m pretty sure if I look in the phone book there will be umpteen people that make signs, so that doesn’t interest me.
Two questions, what is the bench in your pictures (nice detail on the front:thumb: ) and have you posted a picture tour of your shop? It looks like a nice one.

Two questions, what is the bench in your pictures (nice detail on the front:thumb: ) and have you posted a picture tour of your shop? It looks like a nice one.

Bench: Its a potting bench I made for my wife. It was made out of redwood and copper pipe.

Shop: I have not done a "shop tour" yet, its a basement shop. I am thinking about doing a video one if my digital camera can handle it. You can do video's on it but not sure what type of file they are, I will have to check into that.

Bench: Its a potting bench I made for my wife. It was made out of redwood and copper pipe.

Shop: I have not done a "shop tour" yet, its a basement shop. I am thinking about doing a video one if my digital camera can handle it. You can do video's on it but not sure what type of file they are, I will have to check into that.

Nice Potting Bench & design, Aaron. If you do a shop tour, I hope you do a regular pic tour as well and not just the video. Video is real nice, "UNLESS" you're on dialup, (like me), and the download is so time consuming, it's just not worth the effort and time involved to watch a video. :( For this reason, I haven't even watched Stu's Phoenix video, and I know it would be real interesting.

CarveWright Version C

I know a couple of guys on a different forum, no, not that one, that have it, and it has been a real money maker for them. I was going to get one, as it would do the 2-bit characters that the Japanese writing is made up of, I downloaded the software and gave it a whirl, I even had the LOML's go ahead, but the guys with the unit in the US who have done well with it cautioned me to wait, as they did have some hardware and firmware issues.

Still on my "Want" list, but I'll wait a bit more for the second or third gen units to come out.

Cheers!

The CarveWright Version C is actually the 4th generation machine.

Last edited:
Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :eek: After 4 years in the grave.... :D

Welcome to the family Connie! :wave: Do you have a CarveWright? If so, we'd love to see something you've whipped up with it.