Building a new shop with attached house - Done.

Looking good, Don. I guess the effects of the Abyss are starting to take control of my brain, because I was thinking about how many bowls you could get out that header beam (even though fir's not the greatest wood to turn). :eek: :p That is a honkin' piece of wood. :thumb:

Well, when I checked yesterday they were still framing and the trusses were still stacked up waiting for the framing to be done. When I checked back today the framing was done and they had most of the trusses in.

Today I stopped y today they were done framing and most of the trusses were in.

Front framing 2.jpgFraming front 1.jpg

This is 2 shots of the front of the house.

Garage framing 3.jpg

And here is the shop area.

Header.jpg

This is the patio with that amasing 50 foot header. The area at the end of the patio will be where the spa will be..:D

Don, I was showing my wife your thread, she thought the "Building a shop with a house attached" was funny, anyways, she could NOT believe the progress in a week, she said that would take the Japanese carpenters a good month to do (she is right too!).

Looks like we will be seeing you arrange you tools in the shop in no time! :thumb:

Keep the pics coming, love to see the updates! :D

This is 2 shots of the front of the house.

Don, the progress looks great.

But I have to confess... everytime I see your pictures I look at the background and I see not a spec of green, just dry brown desert/dirt everywhere. Sorry, but that just does not look appealing to me. A stunning blue sky, though. So what will grow there once you've moved in?

...art (who's been to California several times, but never Arizona.)

Art,
Just about anything will grow here if you water it. Winter time is the best time for growing vegies etc. This is farm ****ry and they grow corn, cabbage, hay, tomatoes, grapes, just about anything. There are pecan and peach orchards and even an olive grove and and olive mill in Queen Creek.

That's great progress, Don. Were you able to keep that cut-off from the big patio beam? That's gotta be handy for something.

Art, to add to what Don said about growing stuff in the desert, more and more folks are going with low-water, low-maintenance plants for their yards. (Xeriscaping) They add subtle color (and in some cases bolder colors, too), but it's generally not gonna be lots of big trees or green ground cover. LOML grew up her whole life in SoCal, where there is a lot more green than the desert southwest. When she goes to New Mexico with me to see my family, she's always a bit shocked by how brown things are. It is somewhat of an acquired taste, and even though I grew up in and around deserts, I've gotten real fond of all the greenery here in SoCal.

Vaughn, you're saying that SoCal is not a desert?? Sure looks dry there to me.
Technically, I believe it is, but thanks to William Mulholland (who built the California Aquaduct), most folks here think they're living in the tropics, so they landscape (and irrigate) accordingly.

I grew up in New Mexico, and when I moved to SoCal it was a shock to see plants that I considered indoor potted plants (like a jade plant, or coleus, or various ferns) growing like weeds in peoples' yards. I remember how proud I was of a little 2' high jade plant I'd pampered for years in Albuquerque, but then at my first house here, I had a 6' high x 30' long jade hedge, with trunks about 4" or 5" in diameter. So, technically, it is a desert here, but not functionally. ;)

Don,

The shop is looking ok but the attached house is coming along great. Please keep us updated as watching others build from scratch has begun to inspire me to do the same.

Making progress

Well I stopped by today and all of the framing is done and was signed off on Thursday the 7th. The two air handlers are installed in the attic and all of the ventilation duscting is in as well as the condensate drains and the lines that will connect the 2 AC units to the house. There is also material on the roof to start the roof. I expect next week to see the windows installed and the final wraping and insulation on the house.

Here is a picture of the front of the house. Fron Finish Framed.jpg And the garage/shop. Garage finish framing.jpg This is the rear of the house Back of house.jpg the 50 foot long patio Patio Framed.jpg and finally the east side of the house. East side of house.jpg

Windows are installed as electrical in and so's the plumbing. The roofers have the battons paper and flashing ooon as the tiles are setting on the roof. The tiles will site there for at least a week. I think that this is to let the weight of the tiles settle the roof trusses since they weight a ton.

Just a coupla pics of the fron't

121606 Front of house1.jpg121606 Front of house2.jpg

We'll this will delay things. I just stopped by to check on progress and saw that someone had gone in and stollen most of the witing. They cut off the ends at the service entrance and removed most of runs though the attic. I guess the price of copper makes it worth stealing....:eek: :( :mad:
The outside is ready for the stucco and the insulation is installed but now he electrians will have to go back in and redo all of there wireing before they draywallers can come in. That'll delay things by a week or more depending on when they can get the electricians back in...The only good news is this ones on the builder.