Contemplating a basement shop

Doug Sinjem

Just purchased my dads house which we built in 1980. It's an English Tudor style and in need of a major remodel. Currently my shop is located at my construction yard where my concrete business is. It's about 1800 sq. feet but the shape(configuration) is too long and narrow.

I'm thinking of building my shop at my house which would involve putting it under the house and have retaining walls on three sides with the front wall being traditional framing. The ceiling of the shop would probably be concrete poured in place (post tension) which would be the main floor of the house above.

I'm wondering if it's worth it? Looking for input on the pros and cons. I should mention it not a location like Marty's that's why it has to be kind of like a walk out basement. I have 1 acre and the city is difficult to deal with. I would have to show on the plans for the shop would be a garage not a wood shop. I can probably get 200amps for the shop and run a phase converter. Most of my equipment is 3 phase. I'm looking at trying to make it some where between 40-45 feet wide and 50 -60 feet long. There is already an existing office that I could use which would be adjacent to the new shop.

I'm meeting with an architect Monday and kind of need to have a direction to go in. Any input would be appreciated.

Doug

Errr, so is this a remodel or a tear-down :huh:

Is there no basement there presently? And if you're talking about pouring a new main floor I'm just wondering how much of the main house is going to be left!

I with Art and scratching my head. If I have follow you it sounds EXTREMELY expensive to me. So, I will disregard the construction part.

I have a basement shop, more or less daylight basement. I can drive a car in it. I love mine. The only problem(s) are minor. At the end of the day the stairs get old. I had to do spiral stair case to fit in a stairway in the plan. The noise doesn't bother my wife except when I am planing with dull blades or really hard wood. Other than that I don't have a complaint about it.

It stays cooler and warmer than a free standing shop. Takes very little to heat or cool it. I love the fact that I can pull a vehicle inside when needed. If we ever build another I would do it again in a heart beat.

Jeff

Errr, so is this a remodel or a tear-down :huh:

Is there no basement there presently? And if you're talking about pouring a new main floor I'm just wondering how much of the main house is going to be left!

Art it would involve tearing down about 1/3 of the house so the shop could be put underneath. Currently there is no floor for the future shop.If I don't put the shop underneath I will still probably tear that part of the house down anyway to improve the layout/style of the house. The rest of the 2/3 will also be changed dramatically. It will be going from english tudor to tuscan style architecture which does involve roof changes etc.

Doug

I with Art and scratching my head. If I have follow you it sounds EXTREMELY expensive to me. So, I will disregard the construction part.

I have a basement shop, more or less daylight basement. I can drive a car in it. I love mine. The only problem(s) are minor. At the end of the day the stairs get old. I had to do spiral stair case to fit in a stairway in the plan. The noise doesn't bother my wife except when I am planing with dull blades or really hard wood. Other than that I don't have a complaint about it.

It stays cooler and warmer than a free standing shop. Takes very little to heat or cool it. I love the fact that I can pull a vehicle inside when needed. If we ever build another I would do it again in a heart beat.

Jeff

Jeff this kind of goes hand in hand with remodeling the house. Whether I do the shop or not the house remodel will be major and expensive. I will do as much of the work as possible while still living in the house. I will be able to drive in the front of the shop or it will be called like you say a daylight basement. But for city approval purposes I will call it a garage/storage/basement etc.

I've heard good and bad about having a shop at home, just trying to make the right move.

Doug

Doug,

I won't even venture to discuss the scope of the 'remodel' you're planning. But from my previous shops, I will say that GOOD dust collection goes a long way to maintaining peace and harmony with LOYL. My 'shop' in Arizona made it easier to keep the main house clean, since it had a mudroom between the shop and the house. I'd make a point of blowing myself off before I left the shop, and then I'd finish the tidying up in the mudroom before entering the house.

I'm glad to see you say you'll be able to drive into the shop. The very first thing that I thought of when I read this thread was..."how on earth will Doug move all the HUGE equipment into a basement shop???". I guess you'll be bringing a forklift home, huh? :rolleyes:

Oh, and a concrete ceiling for the shop (and floor for the living area) should do a fine job of isolating the noise you'll be making! :thumb:

Good luck, and let's see some plans as they come together.

Heck, the scope of what you're talking about would make a great shop build thread. It'd be stuff most of us would never see otherwise!!!

- Marty -

Doug,

I won't even venture to discuss the scope of the 'remodel' you're planning. But from my previous shops, I will say that GOOD dust collection goes a long way to maintaining peace and harmony with LOYL. My 'shop' in Arizona made it easier to keep the main house clean, since it had a mudroom between the shop and the house. I'd make a point of blowing myself off before I left the shop, and then I'd finish the tidying up in the mudroom before entering the house.

I'm glad to see you say you'll be able to drive into the shop. The very first thing that I thought of when I read this thread was..."how on earth will Doug move all the HUGE equipment into a basement shop???". I guess you'll be bringing a forklift home, huh? :rolleyes:

Oh, and a concrete ceiling for the shop (and floor for the living area) should do a fine job of isolating the noise you'll be making! :thumb:

Good luck, and let's see some plans as they come together.

Heck, the scope of what you're talking about would make a great shop build thread. It'd be stuff most of us would never see otherwise!!!

- Marty -

Thanks for the input Marty I appreciate it. That's one thing I dread is moving all the equipment:doh:

Mostly I don't know what direction my concrete business will take me since we specialize in commercial work and it looks like there maybe a slowdown in the future. I just don't see the demand for 500,000 sq. foot buildings increasing in So. Cal anytime soon. That was my whole reasoning for the shop in the first place.

I bought the house with intentions of staying put for a while and figure it would be a good permanant place for the shop. Cost wise it will increase the concrete portion of the remodel and obviously the electrical. But as far as framing, and other stuff that increase will be attributed to the remodel.

Doug

One acre? Seems to me that an outbuilding, like a large garage would be the happier and less expensive solution. With you being in the concrete business, what you describe is probably not as daunting to you as it would be for others. I'd still go with an above ground wood structure.

Makes sense now. So Cal location explains a lot too. ;) Around here with our prices what you are talking about is unheard of. Teardown would be cheaper.

Back to the basement, I love mine. Would do it again. Only thing I might do different and not sure if the cost would be worth it. I might make my ceiling higher so I could put in an acoustical tile ceiling. My wife never complains and says the noise is not a problem, expect the planner. But if I could quieten it up I probably would.

It sounds like it will workout for you going with underground. Jus make sure you raise the height of the ceiling to aleast 9'. This will make it much more comfortable when trying to swing boards around.

One acre? Seems to me that an outbuilding, like a large garage would be the happier and less expensive solution. With you being in the concrete business, what you describe is probably not as daunting to you as it would be for others. I'd still go with an above ground wood structure.

Frank I would like to do a stand alone structure but the property has a weird shape..almost like a pipe. The set backs are 35 feet and won't allow it. That's why if I do it, it needs to go underneath.

Doug

I would like to have at least 10 foot ceilings and allow for some sort of subfloor for electrial and maybe some DC. If this becomes a reality I have to do some serious design and layout of the shop.

Doug

Thought I'd post a couple of pics for the hopeful future shop location. The first picture would be adjacent to the shops left.

furniture 013.jpg

This one shows the shop would go underneath the existing and flush to the adjacent structure.

furniture 014.jpg

The part that would have to be demoed is the kithen, eating area and laundry which are in need of a remodel anyway.

Doug

doug, back around the time your fathers house was built i was involved in the construction of a new basement underneath an existing building that was two story, flemish bond construction. over the course of a summer we resupported the structure, excavated the underlying rock-n-clay and poured new floors with 12ft ceiling height.....this was with a 10-15 man crew in the ozarks......i have no idea what hurdles you`d face trying to do the same in earthquake country?.....it may very well be cost effective to have the house jacked up and moved in order to excavate, then reset the house on its new morings...this wasn`t an option for the job i was involved in due to the construction and age of the building. i`ll be happy to share what knowledge i gained if you`d find it usefull? tod

Tod and Bartee,

The second pic shows the kitchen, dining, laundry and family room on the upper level. This would all be torn down. A new shop would be built under it all the way out to the front of the existing house. In addition to building the shop the upper level would be reconfigured on top of the shop...kitchen, family room etc, making it larger. The shop would be like a walk out basement, with just access to the front but inside stairs in the back of the shop leading up to the main house.

In addition to building the shop and the remodeling up above there are other parts of the house that would be reconfigured and remodeled at the same time. In other words I wouldn't be tearing things down just to make a new shop.

Doug

Doug, That what I thought after looking at the pictures.

Do you have any ideas on how large the basement would be ?

Can you get to a 11' 12' total height in the basement. this would give you enought room to be able to get to a true 8' ceiling at least in the basement.

Based on your pictures, your shop looks like a commercial operation. Is that gonig to work out of this new space ?

Doug, That what I thought after looking at the pictures.

Do you have any ideas on how large the basement would be ?

Can you get to a 11' 12' total height in the basement. this would give you enought room to be able to get to a true 8' ceiling at least in the basement.

Based on your pictures, your shop looks like a commercial operation. Is that gonig to work out of this new space ?

It would probably be about 45x58 with a 10x20 popout. I can probably get a 10' ceiling, it would be concrete.

The floor would be concrete with some type of wood floor over...maybe some sleepers.

It is basically a one man shop so the operations would be fine. I just don't want to have any problems with the city. My home is long term and that's my thinking for having the shop there. Commercial space always has some conditions attached with it, like rent increases, lease agreements etc.

Doug