Thread: A Couple of New Tools

A Couple of New Tools

Here are a couple new additions to the shop that were delivered Friday.

Attachment 9801

These are carbide turning chisels from a guy named Joe Rollings at Unique Tool in Rodeo, NM. Here's a link.

The carbide is an extremely hard 86 Rockwell hardness, which should hold an edge quite a while. Joe also recommends turning at a higher speed than usual when using the carbide tips.

Attachment 9802

He offers tools with several sizes of round and square carbide scraper bits, plus a triangle shape. I got the 5/8" size in both square and round versions. He makes 5/8" steel bars for each specific size. His standard bar is 16 1/2" long, but he also sells the Boss Hogger, which has a 36" long bar. The 16 1/2" was a little shorter than I wanted, but I also didn't want the full 3-footer, either. I got the shorter ones with another plan in mind.

The 5/8" bar on the carbide tools fits into my Monster Tools "Indexer", so all I had to do was remove the grips that came on the carbide tools (yes, they're golf club grips). Here's a shot that shows the original size (middle) and the new longer size with the Indexer (bottom). At the top of the pic is the double-ended square bit tool that came with the Indexer.

Attachment 9803

If I want it short, it'll go short, too...

Attachment 9804

The end result is very solid and substantial, with a nice scraper edge. The round bit also does a nice job turned nearly vertical and used in a shear scraping cut. Here's a sample of some of the results that I picked up off the lathe bed.

Attachment 9805

I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of these guys, and I think Joe's prices are pretty reasonable. And considering how much I use my 1" square scraper refining the outside of bowls and hollow forms, I may be looking at getting the 3/4" square version from Joe in the future.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That does look really good Vaughn, do you know if he will sell the carbide tips only?

with those, I'm sure I could make some thing out of them
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That does look really good Vaughn, do you know if he will sell the carbide tips only?...
    Dunno, but you could drop him a line. I've not exchanged any e-mail with him, but he's just a guy out in the middle of Nowhere, NM, so I wouldn't be surprised if he would try to accomodate you. I'm already thinking if I order any more of these from him, I'll have him leave off the golf grip. It's a great idea, and they felt comfortable, but I didn't need them. (Kinda felt bad cutting off brand new grips.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

OK, I sent him an e-mail.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Those look pretty cool Vaughn. I may have to give him a e-mail. Looks like they really do a nice job. Thanks for the heads up.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.