Thread: My first significant

My first significant

kickback. Got hit today. Not bad. Lower stomach area, and a scratch on my right arm, underneath. What tool??? Miter saw! I was cutting a piece off the right side of the blade that was about 5/16" and it caught the blade and then the shroud . Destroyed the plastic guard. Not sure this cheapo Ryobi MS is worth buying a new guard for. Guess I'll see how much they cost. I've been wanting an SCMS....even built a box bay window on the shop just for one! Guess we'll see how the rest of the year goes.
    Just a reminder....PLAY SAFE!! Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the post and update.
    How fast did all that happen? Glad you seem to be okay, vision, body parts, body functions and all. What a learning experience that must have been. Take care and be aware.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Shaz, I kept working probably for another hour or so. It was more of a surprise than anything. The scratch on the arm is he worst of it. I don't even think the area hit will bruise. May revise that when I wake up in the am. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim,

Glad to hear that you are Ok. At least the biggest damage was done to something that can be fixed without a trip to the ER.

I would look in to the price of guard replacement.... or maybe its just a good excuse for a miter saw upgrade

I have a crown molding jig for my CMS that requires that I pin the guard back to use it. That 12in blade is pretty scary. As a rule I keep my hands put until the blade has stopped. Not taking any chances with that one.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Jim, Glad you're ok. It's amazing what a CMS can do. I got bit a couple weeks ago trying to cut something that was really too short to be cutting with the CMS. Blade grabbed the wood and I don't have any idea how it did it, but it banged up my left index finger. Still pretty sore! I can definitely empathize!

Glad it was no worse than it was Jim, and that you're OK. I haven't really used my CMS much...I guess I didn't even realize it could kick back. Thanks for the heads-up and the general safety reminder.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jim,
    Very glad that you weren't hurt worse. How did you fare now that things have had time to bruise up?
    -Ned

Thanks guys. Vaughn, I never considered it either. Like I say, this is a cheap Ryobi, and there is a pretty good gap in the fence where the blade comes through. The small piece just got sucked into this and the blade and the blade guard, and away she went! I need to start doing some research to see if any of the leading SCMS units have a ZCI for this opening. I think that would have kept it from happening.
    Ned, nary a mark. Not even red. I'm good for more punishment today! Sometime after breakfast, anyway. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

I've been trying to get that darned guard off mine for 15 years... thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    kickback. Got hit today.Just a reminder....PLAY SAFE!! Jim
    Hurts dont it

Feel for you, been hit twice in 3 years. Last week made the second, dont want a third

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!