My first significant

Jim O'Dell

kickback. Got hit today. Not bad. Lower stomach area, and a scratch on my right arm, underneath. What tool??? Miter saw! I was cutting a piece off the right side of the blade that was about 5/16" and it caught the blade and then the shroud . Destroyed the plastic guard. Not sure this cheapo Ryobi MS is worth buying a new guard for. Guess I'll see how much they cost. I've been wanting an SCMS....even built a box bay window on the shop just for one! :D Guess we'll see how the rest of the year goes.
Just a reminder....PLAY SAFE!! Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the post and update.
How fast did all that happen? Glad you seem to be okay, vision, body parts, body functions and all.:) What a learning experience that must have been. Take care and be aware.:)
Shaz

Shaz, I kept working probably for another hour or so. It was more of a surprise than anything. The scratch on the arm is he worst of it. I don't even think the area hit will bruise. May revise that when I wake up in the am. :D Jim.

Jim,

Glad to hear that you are Ok. At least the biggest damage was done to something that can be fixed without a trip to the ER.

I would look in to the price of guard replacement.... or maybe its just a good excuse for a miter saw upgrade ;)

I have a crown molding jig for my CMS that requires that I pin the guard back to use it. That 12in blade is pretty scary. As a rule I keep my hands put until the blade has stopped. Not taking any chances with that one.

Jim, Glad you're ok. It's amazing what a CMS can do. I got bit a couple weeks ago trying to cut something that was really too short to be cutting with the CMS. Blade grabbed the wood and I don't have any idea how it did it, but it banged up my left index finger. Still pretty sore! I can definitely empathize!

Glad it was no worse than it was Jim, and that you're OK. I haven't really used my CMS much...I guess I didn't even realize it could kick back. Thanks for the heads-up and the general safety reminder.

Thanks guys. Vaughn, I never considered it either. Like I say, this is a cheap Ryobi, and there is a pretty good gap in the fence where the blade comes through. The small piece just got sucked into this and the blade and the blade guard, and away she went! I need to start doing some research to see if any of the leading SCMS units have a ZCI for this opening. I think that would have kept it from happening.
Ned, nary a mark. Not even red. I'm good for more punishment today!:thumb: Sometime after breakfast, anyway.:wave: Jim.