Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Finished (from Bits and Bobs of Bubinga)

Table Finished (from Bits and Bobs of Bubinga)

Here's some photos of the dining table I have been working on the last couple of months. The table top is a little different with breadboard ends that expand and contract toward the center not the sides. This idea is from a recent FWW issue. I used figured bubinga, curly maple and ebony. The finish is shellac seal coat and Sam Maloof finish. For the second step of the Maloof finish I used a blend wax of beeswax, carnauba and something called Japan wax with BLO, tung oil and gum turpentine.

For this project there were a few firsts for me; breadboard ends, veneer (shop cut curly maple veneer glued to a maple substrate), leg stringing and feet on the leg ends.

I also made some accessories for this table; salt and pepper mill set, bottle stopper and serving tray. Regretfully I did not make a set of chairs but would like to in the furture.

Overall I am quite happy with the results. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 06-17-2007 at 01:19 PM.

That really looks great! I'm impressed that you have an entire dining set that matches. Are you going to make some chairs to match it now?

The accessories that match really set your project apart. Nice Job! Beautiful piece of furniture

Alex

Very, very nice! What a wonderful job and the accessories are very cool.

Thanks for the post

Jay

alex, very handsome work, great mix of woods. how did you prep that large table top for flatness??
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Very, very nice Alex.
    Thanks for sharing these photos and your input.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That is great Alex, is this the commision for the SIL?

Boy whomever gets this will be really happy with it, I'm sure.

Guys, Alex's shop is small, and I know he works a lot, commute and everything, and has a young (VERY sweet) daughter, so I know that this project took a fairly long time, but man, is it nice.

Hats off to you buddy, that is nice work!

Any chance to see it when we come down in July

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The whole package is flat-out gorgeous, Alex. You do very nice work, and whoever ends up owing these pieces will be very happy (and fortunate) campers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Outstanding!!! Nothing else need be said.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Thanks all for the warm comments.

Clark the flatness of the panels was controlled by first using flat (end-to-end panels). The panels were severely cupped so I had to rip them, joint them, thickness plane them and them glue em back up. I managed to keep the joint practically seamless being barely detectable in one or two areas under close scrutiny.

Stu unfortunately you won't be able to see it when you come down in July as it went to SIL. Looking forward to the beach party in July. BTW if you have anything you want drum sanded bring it down and we'll put it through.