The addition Whine

I am not sure that everyone knows this or not, but over the past five weeks I have been trying to put up an addition. Ever since Alyson came along our one bedroom home has been a bit cramped and thus an addition was needed.

Now people said their would be difficulties but I kind of expected things to go a lot smoother than they have. It all started with the ground work. I figured it would be no big deal to bring the gravel base up to grade and pour a slab over it. With an estimate of a thousand dollars, we hit a spring and 200 yards of gravel later we were graveled up for a whopping 3000 dollars.

The concrete estimate was off by 4 thousand dollars as well, and now that the house is shelled in and the contractor I hired is out of the picture, we only managed to make up a few thousand dollars and are 1800 dollars over budget.

Well now we are out of money, well at least cash. Savings brought us this far (31,000) but now it looks like a construction loan is needed. I have never had a home loan in my life so this is pretty depressing. We were in hopes my wifes house on the coast would sell, but the market is dropped way off on coastal properties.

Its all so depressing. I have worked and worked to get the house where it is and yet I still got wiring to do, drywall, siding, plumbing, the ceiling to put up...the list seems endless. All I want to do is just catch my breath for a minute and enjoy this father's day, but we got to pack up for New York. We got a call this morning and my wifes 98 year old Grandmother is not going to make it to 99. She died early this morning. Sorry for the whining, but good golly it has not been a good day.

Here is a webpage I have going so people could see how the addition has progressed.

Home Addition Webpage

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to see you've been running into hurdles, Travis. Hang in there...in the end, I'm sure you'll beat it, and the addition will be worth it. Plus, the extra square footage will likely increase the value of the house, so in the long run, the money spent now is simply an investment for the future.

And sorry to hear about your wife's grandmother. At 98 years of age, I suspect she lived quite a life, and saw an amazing amount of history as it happened. Your family will be in my thoughts and best wishes.

Travis

First of all, condolences to you and your wife. Those are tough days but hopefully there are lots of good memories and she passed peacefully.

The addition looks fantastic, but I can understand the pain of over budget projects. Hang in there, it will be worth it.

Jay

You know guys, you made me feel better. I also kind of helped myself get in a better mood. Today I came home from work and did nothing! I did not work on the house, I did not mow the yard, I didn't do anything but sit on the floor and play with my daughter. It was not very productive but in a silly little way, it was fun too. Its funny how kids can keep your priorities straight.

5.22.07c.JPG

Dear Travis,
Sometimes the times bear down hard on us and there isn't much consolation in what folks might say but you fix on that little girl and that woman you call your bride and hang on, there will be a brighter day. You do what you can and don't do what you can't. Be okay, I pray you well.
Shaz :)

I agree with Vaughn

Travis,

I agree with Vaughn's comments...your time was very well spent. Kids have a way of brightening any day, not to mention the nurturing you provided just by giving her your attention. That speaks volumes about you. I have two grandsons, 4 and 2, and it brightens my day just to talk to them on the phone (they live 5 hours away in Jacksonville, NC).

My condolences for your family's loss. Words won't help, but time will ease the pain.

Words won't help much either for the frustration you're feeling with the new addition, but you'll eventually get it completed and what a great investment it'll be. If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I worked in military acquisition for several years after I retired from the military...government programs are ALWAYS behind schedule and over budget... and these are "professionals" :D

Do what you can and let God do the rest,

Frank

Glad to hear your mood has improved, I've been there and done that a few times as well, and more often than not, one of my kids or my lovely wife picks up my mood too! :thumb:

Sorry for your loss, 98, wow, that is amazing, just to think the things she saw in her lifetime :thumb:

Be good! :wave:

travis, i can assure you that your daughter could care less about the addition! i started one on our house when my son was born 2-1/2 yrs ago and it`s no where near ready for occupancy.......it bothers ME that i`m not done but playing with toy trucks and horseback rides are much more important to my son.......guess what takes priority?
you`ve got things straight......save up and do what you can when you`re able, they`re only kids once.....tod

Travis,
congrats on the beautiful family addition. And I feel your pain regarding the building addition. I'm only 3 days into active building on my shop, but last night I was really frustrated with things. Nothing that was too out of whack (can things be In whack??) to be dealt with in the end, however.

Hang in there!:thumb:

thats one fine gal you have there travis

and enjoy every minute you can with them they get old to soon and leave and then you dont have time to see them like you can now.. when things get you down they always have away of gettin you back up.. i missed alot of my daughters growing up in the littel years was gone working to much,., got lucky and had a second chance to spend time with them and did so.. done things others said i shouldnt but i never regreted any time i spent with them.. sometimes, those do nothing days are the best, and when she gives you that cute little grin,, its priceless and its all worthwhile... keep your chin up