Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Little Dream Shop

My Little Dream Shop

Hello folks. I am a relative newbie to woodworking. I have always liked tinkering here and there but only recently have I wanted to get a bit deeper into it. My good friend, Bartee Lamar, told me this is a great forum with good people to learn from. I hope so, because I have a lot to learn!

We moved into a new house recently and I finally have space for a small shop. The space isn't very big (only 169 square feet), but I will make do with the space I have. I just want to plan it out to make use of the area as best I can. Which, is why I am looking for some ideas and advice.

Here are the dimensions of the shop. I plan to replace the double windows with out-swinging french doors as soon as I can find an economical door that my wife and I like.

Attachment 9884

So far, I have installed an electrical sub-panel and wired outlets and lighting. Here is a picture of the lighting.

Attachment 9887
    Attachment 9886

Since the above joists are the engineered I-Beam style, I cut strips of 7/16" OSB (18" x 48"), painted them white and layed them between the joists for ceiling tiles. This makes it easy to remove them for access to the ceiling if needed. The lights are mounted in OSB panel cutouts (I still have to paint the panels with the lights and the exposed part of the joists).

As far as equipmtent I currently own:

- Long Work bench (build before we moved into the new house)
    - Craftsman Router Table & Router (I hate the table)
    - Ryobi Compound Miter Saw
    - Delta 10" Table saw (currently in garage)
    - Hand Power Tools (Circular Saw, Jig Saw, Drill, Orbital Sander)
    - Shop Vac
    - A few hand tools

Attachment 9888
    Attachment 9889
    Attachment 9890

Some Ideas I have seen are combining the Router station into the table saw. But, I don't know where to locate plaans or designs for this. My biggest concerns are workspace efficiency, air quality, and wood storage.

I want to build an efficient shop and I know I will need to build some cabinets and fixtures. I just want to put together a plan before I start. Therefore, any and all advice is appreciated.

See all the pictures here

Thanks and Peace,

Jim Canup
    Last edited by Jim Canup; 06-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Jim, I've been trying to figure out what to do with my new shop ceilings and I really dig what you did there. That was a great idea. I may have to steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    Jim, I've been trying to figure out what to do with my new shop ceilings and I really dig what you did there. That was a great idea. I may have to steal it.

Steal away Rob - At $5.00 a sheet for the OSB, I did the entire shop ceiling for $30.00 and a half gallon of white trim paint I had laying around.

The master of making the most of a small is space is without a questions Stu. I am sure he will chime in. But meantime, I suggest you search the Shop Tour forum for the Dungeon tour. It's amazing at what all he crams in his small shop.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

hi jim, welcome to the forum!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

My shop & Stu's shop I think are about the same size. Mine is 13'5" x 24'5" I am now in the process of making room for a 12" 5 HP Bellsaw planer that spent the first 30 some years in my Dad's shop.

I forgot to say I hope you'll have a lot of fun in your shop Jim & the first arraignment won't be the last.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 06-19-2007 at 01:36 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Jim
    Looks like you have the makings of a really great shop there.
    Don't forget to post pictures as you go.

Welcome aboard!!

DT

Here is a design I came up with. Items in red are future pieces of equipment as budget allows.

Attachment 9899

Let me know what you think. I will listen to any and all suggestions and comments.

Peace,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Canup; 06-19-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Welcome Jim
    Nice shop
    Nice ideas

You are going to be a great asset to this forum.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

After stewing on the design and talking to a couple of friends, I made a couple of changes. First, I acurately measured my Delta 34-410 Table Saw and created a template sized for it. I sized the router table based on Bench Dog's ProMax. I will either end up buying this or building my own. The counter to the right hand side of the table saw gives the entire assemble a width of 72" and 53" deep. Does this sound right? I have never built a table saw station.

I plan to put the whole thing on locking casters so I can roll it towards the center of the room to accomodate full sheet goods without hitting the door frame. Granted, I may need the french doors open, but that isn't a big deal. Here is the updated design.

Attachment 9920

Please comment on it and point out anything that I missed. I have never designed a shop and I am sure I am making some basic mistakes. I like to really plan things out because experience has shown me that poor planning can sometimes cost a lot of money in the end.

One comment from a friend that I think is worth mentioning is that I have no place for large sheet good storage. Unless any of you can think of a place, I figured I would store it in the garage. I don't plan on keeping too much in stock anyway. I will just purchase it on a per project basis.

Finally, my wife asked me about noise. The shop is directly below the bedroom and will be adjacent to the entertainment room when the basement is finished (the north wall in the diagram). What is the best way to dampen the sound from the shop? I have plenty of fiberglass insulation left over. Will that work?

Peace,

Jim