My Little Dream Shop

You are to be complimented for making maximum use from a small space. For your situation, I note you live in a part of the country that has a lot of nice weather. Moving outside occasionally really opens up opportunities. I do that now and then and really enjoy working in the open air, even when it means hot sunshine. I would put the miter saw on a movable stand.

Thanks Frank - When I get the double french doors installed, I will have direct access to the patio which will be great for working outside. I do plan to put all my equipment on movible bases. Both for working outside and when we move in 5-8 years. Thanks for the link to the grizzly casters.

Hi Jim, welcome to the family, sorry I missed this thread until now :eek: :dunno:

A couple of quick thoughts;

On any tool that you want to pull straight out, like your jointer, from under a counter, don't use swivel casters, just ones that don't turn, mine is under my worktable, and is one a stand I built, and it pulls straight out, and pushes straight back in, with a floor screw that I turn to keep it in place. I started with swiveling casters, big mistake.

Noise, the router is the one that is the "KILLER" almost nothing you can do about it on the cheap, if you do not have a router yet, I think that Makita has one that is noted for it's (relative) low noise.

What are you doing about DC? :huh:

Or did I miss something.

Back later, it's 2AM I got to get to bed.

Cheers!

Jim,
a thought about fitting DC into the shop. What about a small bump-out shed next to the french doors? Build it just large enough to fit the DC (with ducting going back into the shop)

That is a good idea, except I can't do that in my neighorhood with the HOA Rules. I had a difficult enough time getting the new french door approved. I thought about one of those little mini cyclones on top of a 5-gallon bucket connected to my shop vacc.

jim, i can`t offer any sound advice on layout.....but sound dampening i can help a little with. in order to muffle the sound of screaming power tools you`ll need to isolate your work area from the living area with more than an insulated wall.....hvac ducts, plumbing and wiring all transmit sounds very well. your floor joists and the hollow spots between them also make great reverbaration containers.....soooooooooo,
how much effort and money are you willing to invest in order to achieve what decible drop?

I don't know if my screaming power tools are a problem. But, I just keep my earplugs in and if my wife is screaming about noise, or anything, I'm not aware of it. ;) :rofl: