Website Authoring Software..........?

Stuart Ablett

What do you guys use?

I have been using Windoze FrontPage, and it works, but the version I have "2000" has really fallen behind, and now I see that the upgrade 2003 was the last one and Windoze have thrown FrontPage overboard.

Not willing to send any more of my hard earned money to Windoze, so what do you guys use?

One of the functions I'm looking for it something where I can view thumbnails of the images on the website so I can choose the image I wish to put on the page, FP 2000 does not have this, and it is very frustrating, especially with the number of pics I put up :eek:

Free is better, but I don't mind paying a bit of money for something good! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Stu,

There are a bunch of things, but lots of people prefer dreamweaver. It does complex stuff, but it's also easy for most beginners. It's likely your best choice...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
One of the functions I'm looking for it something where I can view thumbnails of the images on the website so I can choose the image I wish to put on the page, FP 2000 does not have this, and it is very frustrating, especially with the number of pics I put up :eek:...
When you're inserting a picture into a page in FrontPage (Insert | Picture | From File), you should be able to switch the view between List, Details, Thumbnails, and several others. Do you not have this button in the Picture dialog box?

Picture Dialog Annotated.jpg

Still don't blame you for wanting to get away from FrontPage (I do too, but for different reasons), but this might solve your immediate issue.

No, I don't have that view option, these pics have already been uploaded to the site and are on the server, waiting to be inserted into pages.

You see, I edit my FP pages hot, on the server, as I often do the editing from any of 5 different computers. FP does not handle this well, it is always wanting to erase the older version of the saved page and or not wanting to allow the saved page to be saved, as there is a newer version on the server yada yada yada :rolleyes:

I found that editing things hot, not using the "Publish" thing worked better for me.

Bill, yeah, I hear DreamWeaver is the cats pajamas, but at $300 :eek:

I'll look at the other ones.

Cheers!

Using Front Page I assume you don't know HTML code very well?? That makes a big difference.

I started out hard coding so I learned and still work with HTML largely. I found a program that I love. CoffeeCup HTML editor. But might not be your style, especially if you don't like reading code. It has thumbnails, FTP capabilities and more.

BUT, on the bright side it does have a WYSIWYG editor in it. I tried it but of course I hated it. But you might like it.

www.coffeecup.com

I asked a similar question a while back on SMC and somebody pointed me towards this:
http://www.nvu.com/index.php

I been messing with it at work to prototype a small spinoff site for training. So far it's working pretty well although it doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with pages made using MS Powerpoint "Save as Web Page" html. Nothing I haven't been able to work around though.