Table Saw Dado Question

Sean Wright

I am in the market to upgrade my 6in wobble dado to a stacked dado. I picked this up a while back before i knew any better.:doh:

I was considering the Freud 8in stacked dado set, model SD208. It seems to be going for between $95 to $105 depending. Seems like a reasonable price from a well known blade manufacturer.

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Hi Sean - I had the SD208 set for ~ 3 years and thought it was very good, but I gotta admit my DW7670 makes a cleaner cut. It has twice the teeth, an added chipper, very good shim stock and a nice carrying case...it's also often in the same price range.

DW7670 review

It's also now available under the Delta logo as the 35-7670:
41zt4jQHI8L._SS500_.jpg

I got lucky a few months ago and stoled the last one from our local Farm & Fleet. I was in the market and saw it sitting on the shelf for what seemed forever. Offered the department manager $50.00 to clear it out of his way and he actually thank ME!!!! Anyway, been using it for a few months and would buy it again without question. Knowing then what I know now at full price I would be glad to get it.

Best of luck!! Ken

I had the SD208 and upgraded to the SD508. A HUGH difference !!!

freud-tools_SD508.gif

The 4 cutters vs. 2 are all the difference. I think this will apply no matter which one you buy.

I would have liked to have the fully adjustable Freud, but my arbor on my old saw is not long enough. After using the SD508 for a project ( my router table) I don't regret not having the fully adjustable one.

I know it is a lot more money, but I think this is something you only buy once.

Last edited:
another point of veiw!

make sure your saws arbor will take it,, i had an old craftsman and it wouldnt so i ended up gettin a differnt saw. also the 8' frued takes some more horsepower than the 6" so look at that aspect as well sean:thumb:

:doh: :doh:

I need to check my yahoo mail account more often.:( That where the Rockler email promos get sent to. I checked it today only to find that the Delta 8in 24 tooth dado was on sale for $99.......for one day only and that one day was......yesterday. doh!

Oh well I'm not in a huge hurry for it. So I guess I'll keep watching the sales.... and checking that email account.....

New Dado Stack !

I have been checking my yahoo account much more regularly than I was, as to not miss out another good deal from Rockler. I got the latest promo email last night. 30% off any non-sale item that will fit in a paper shopping bag.

I almost bought the SD208, but for some reason I took another walk around the store. Thats when I spotted the Delta 35-7670 24 tooth 4 chipper set. It wasn't on sale and it fit in the shopping bag :D so nabbed it for $104 (non sale price $149). I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I look forward to it.

Thanks for all of your feedback on this! :thumb:

I have a 6" and haven't found the need for the extra depth an 8" would provide.

FWIW,
Wes

Wes,

I went with the 8in, not so much for depth, but for the increased number of teeth. I went with the Delta set over the Freud SD208 for the following reasons:
-Delta 24 teeth to SD208's 12
-Delta 4 cutters per chipper blade to SD208's 2
-Delta had a nice case, where SD208's was more of a holder than a case.

The Delta model is closer in specs to the Freud SD508, but it beats it on price.

With the sale I was able to pickup the Delta for about what the SD208 runs not on sale. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.... But plan on it soon.:thumb:

Sean,

I use the Freud SD608 8" DIAL-A-WIDTH DADO. It is a very nice set and probably the last one I will ever buy. I don't know if you can justify the cost or want to splurge for 250.00 but it is a recommended set that cuts clean and I don't have to fuss with shims.