What kind of plywood matches pine?

chris johnson

I am going to make a changing table for a good friend's new baby, and I need to make it match the crib they already bought. The crib is made out of pine and has a very dark mahogany type stain on it. What kind of ply would you guys use. Would Birch ply work or baltic birch maybe? Here is a pic of the crib they bought and the table I will base my build on.

Chris

Attachments

• crib.jpg
    crib.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
  • changing table.jpg
    changing table.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 26
Since you'll be staining it dark, I'd think either of the birch plys you mentioned would work. In fact, I suspect pretty much any even-colored light ply would work, but I'm not real experienced in color matching existing pieces. I'll be interested in seeing what the folks who more knowledgeable than me about this type of thing have to suggest.

chris, birch will stain dark but won`t really match the grain of pine..any good lumber retailer can order pine veneered sheetgoods.....i prefer an mdf core because it offers less finishing issues..tod

I have succesfully built furniture out of pine covered plywood and stained it dark to match other darkly stained pine furniture. As Tod says, this is important in order to get the grain to match.

I called and checked a local supplier, 3/4 pine veneer goes for $75 a sheet. I was hoping that birch would work (less expensive) but the general concensus is that is just won't look right, yes/no?

Chris