Poplar Vase

Shawn Lakes

This is the first time that I have tried to turn something this big. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The vase is 12" tall and 9" across the top. I was only able to hollow out 9" of the inside. I do not have a captive rig so I was doing this freehand with a Monster tool. I thought that it was going to rip my arm off a couple of times when it would catch. The wood was very dry so that didn't help any either.

Attachments

• 100_0276.jpg
    100_0276.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0277.jpg
    100_0277.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0279.jpg
    100_0279.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
Cool stuff, Shawn, and real pretty wood. I'm sure it was a workout getting a piece that big hollowed out, especially dry. Dunno if it would have been possible for you on this one, but sometimes you can adjust your tool rest so that one end goes partway inside the hollowed out part, and that helps you get a bit deeper. That way you don't have to hang 9" of the tool off the rest.

Nice vase Shawn! The fact that you were able to get 9" of that hollowed without using any captive system is impressive. I don't have a captive setup and I struggle getting 5" into a hollow form or vase. That's also some pretty wood.