how many power outages do you have?

how many power outages do you have a month?

• 1 or 2

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 3 to 5

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 6 to 10

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • never

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi there Frank,
I'm a country boy too. About every three months we will lose power for a few hours and the day will be as pretty as you could want. No reason what so ever for it other than antique systems they refuse to replace. It’s strange too because they were rated one of the three most expensive utilities companies in the United States the hurricane season before last.
It was during that season, when we had three known hurricanes and two tropical storms out there working their way toward us that I bit the bullet and had a 16,000 watt LP Guardian installed. Now when the power goes out it takes 60 seconds before the Guardian takes over the whole house.
I thought it was extremely expensive when I looked at the unit. What I didn't know was it cost as much to hook it up as it did to buy it.

The bad thing is, it's not hooked to the shop. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DT

I'm in Don's situation although, I happen to be on a main road with a gas line connecting two cities so mine is NG instead of LP.

However, the reason I have mine is a direct result of the outage that took out the NE back in 2003. As it happens, I was 10 days home after major surgery including a tracheotomy which had me on electrical medical equipment. Thankfully, I could be off it for a few hours at a time but, given that outage, I had to pack up and have my wife drive me to my parents on the other side of the state who did have power. But it made me think.

I decided that, on the north side of 50, the likelyhood of my needing electrified medical equipment was only going to increase as the years pass and I sure as hell didn't want to get caught without power if it happened. So any place I live from here on out will have a similar generator even if I can't afford to have it run my shop.

Like some others, I couldn't vote never because we may have two or three a year - usually weather-related from a thunderstorm. I don't recall our last one. We do have UPS backups on our computers in the shop, but I always know when we've had a flicker because the microwave clock will ALWAYS go crazy. I'd bet I reset that thing 4-5 times a week--it's the only one in the house that is so sensitive.

Nancy

Nancy, those flickers are outages and do count.
We installed an unvented propane fireplace for backup as our heat is electric dependant. I also have a 3500 watt (not K-watt) generator that will run a few things like the frig., freezer and some lights. We would have to depend on bottled water for drinking, which we have. And jugs of water to flush, which we also have. Could go, at least, three or four days without problems.

This reminds me ( i have not done this and i want your electrical expertise). Can I take my 15K generator plug it into one of my 220 receptacles in the garage and "back flow" electricity into the house during a power outage.

NOTE, this would only be done with the Main Panel Breaker turned off. woudl this work and more importantly is it safe?

Joe

Not sure.

Around here, they want a safety generator hookup box on your elec. pole.
[Whatever they call it] That way your power doesn't flow back down the power lines.

I had a special switch installed in the house for my generator and had it checked by the electric company. It's called a double-throw, double-double something or other. :huh: All I really know is that it cost about $500.00 so I don't fry a lineman trying to do repairs.