Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you get it level?

how do you get it level?

I just saw a really attractive table made from several pieces of driftwood with a large, oval, glass top. The table had three large, mounted bass 'swimming' around under the glass. Masterfully done, looked like they were in their natural element. OK, the question: The irregular pieces of driftwood (of course) had flat feet that sat level on the floor. The top(s) of the pieces also was level to hold the glass properly. How is that done? Separate, irregular pieces with no reference point, like an edge to hold your tool. All I can think of is a tiny bit at a time with a sander.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hi Frank,
    Everybody has an opinion, this is mine and for me it has worked numerous times. Figure out how you are going to join them together and do that first in the configuration you find pleasing, in a dry fit (knock down version). Since there are three feet they all will touch the ground, there fore after deciding which end is up, sitting on a flat surface scribe lines around each leg using a block of thickness that will allow you to acquire a true line around the pieces,( this block may need to be creatively shaped to allow you to scribe such inconsistent pieces). Disassemble and proceed to hand saw with a sharp saw along those scribed lines thus giving you three true flat feet. If that sounds feasible then let me know and I will share with you how I would do the top.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

What Shaz said. If it's still a smidgen off after assembly you can set the whole thing on a flat surface (top of a TS works well) with a sheet of sandpaper taped down under the longer legs. Usually 5 mins of moving the piece back and forth a few inches is enough to work out the last little bit of rocking.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Sounds like a plan gents, but this is assuming the floor is flat, one thing I find VERY rare around here, due mainly to all the shifting from earthquakes etc.

Thus, I like to have some sort of leveling feet on the table, true with 3 feet you are better off than 4, but still.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I had another idee, all on my own.
    Using one of the new laser leveler thingys. Just shine and cut the tops off where the red hits the log.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hey Frank,
    That's one I think should work real well. Have you thought of any drawback to the idea? Congrats on the revelation .
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Well, I usually don't get it level - but since I'm a half bubble off anyway . . .

Wes

I would likely use a jig. I would do as Shaz said, first figure out how to join it together and do that. Then as the pedestal stands build a jig around it that sits flat and allows one end to protrude through. Visually what you have is an island (the jig) with a tree coming up the middle, sticking out (the part of pedestal you will chop off). Then using your jig to hold the saw blade flat and level start cutting. Adjust the jig for height, flip your pedestal over and do it again.

I have seen this jig used for cutting four legs on a chair to level. It was just a level, flat surface suspended, with four holes in it allowing the chair legs to pop through.

I would use the same leveling method the Romans used to build the giant aquaducts, roadways and buildings 2000 years ago...the simple water level.

Get a clear piece of plastic hose, fill it with water and then lift one end at your benchmark. The other end you hold on the other two legs and mark them. Since water always seeks its own level, you got your level problem solved.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis, that's genius and simple. I like simple. Problem solved and no modern laser thingys needed.