Thread: AWFS - Wanna come?

AWFS - Wanna come?

Hello all,

You may be aware that the AWFS is being held in Las Vegas from July 18 to July 21, at the LV Convention Center. LOML and I will be there in the Woodworker's Supply booth showing off tools, and I'll be demonstrating the Matchmaker and a midi-lathe.

Anyway, some of the folks at SMC started the idea of a gathering in LV, so I [was] "volunteered" to sort of get the ball rolling and "host" it. So, here's the scoop.

If you are going to be in Las Vegas for the AWFS, we are having a gathering on Thursday night, July 19, at JT's near the airport, starting at 7:00 p.m. Since I'll be getting to LV on the 11th, I can make a reservation for a back room or a huge table--whichever is necessary for the number of attendees. If you would like to join the party, PLEASE either post here that you (and your spouse, by name) will be coming or let me know by PM. I'll need a head count, and I'm going to make name tags for the group, so let me know.

Hope to see and meet you in Vegas!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I'd love to join you Nancy but I'm headed to Illinois for a 5 generation family photo session. Have fun and please take a few photos of the gathering and post them.

I wish I could go, but just don't see it in the cards right now. I agree with Ken, though. Pics will be required.

If LOML wins the Lotto, then maybe I'll be able to reconsider.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Aw, come on, Vaughn, it's an easy drive from your house to LV, and you could come for just two days and the night. Don't be a wimp!!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Aw, come on, Vaughn, it's an easy drive from your house to LV, and you could come for just two days and the night. Don't be a wimp!!!

Nancy
    Well, about 5 hours and a tank of gas each way ain't too bad. Problem is, my day job will be shifting into the annual summer death march (it's sort of a software development tradition) as we get the next version ready for market this fall, so my weekend time is going to be pretty tight. And what time I do have will likely be spent getting things built and set up for the fall art shows that I'm hoping to enter.

May be doable for a different show at a different time of the year.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Com'on guys, isn't anyone going to the AWFS??
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

Hmm, lets see...

Round trip from YXU to LAS on Jul 18-21 = $525

3 nights in a hotel look like $75-$100 a night, according to vegas.com, so call it $325 total with tax and stuff.

Toss on some food and I'm betting it'll be a grand before I know it. And what does it cost to attend the show?

(Staying home and not being strangled by my wife: priceless.

Besides, even if she did let me go, it would have to be all prepaid, as there's no way she'd let me go there with a valid credit card in hand! Wise woman)

BUMPING!!

Isn't there anyone from this site going to Las Vegas to the show? You're gonna miss a great time if you don't.

Art, you're just about right on the price. Those $75-100-a-night rooms are FAR off the Strip and you'd have to take a cab to the Convention Center. The company tells us that our (LOML and I) room at the Luxor is running $2400 for the 12 days we'll be there!!! I'm glad I'm not having to pay that--I'd be staying at the no-tell motel somewhere!!

We're gonna have a party in Las Vegas. Y'all come!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Round trip from YXU to LAS on Jul 18-21 = $525

3 nights in a hotel look like $75-$100 a night, according to vegas.com, so call it $325 total with tax and stuff.

Toss on some food and I'm betting it'll be a grand before I know it. And what does it cost to attend the show?

Staying home and not being strangled by my wife: priceless.
    Art, I was thinking the same thing!

Sorry Nancy, I'd love to, but its just not "in the cards" right now.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe