Hey buddy, can you spare an aluminum?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm bidding on a job to build chancel furniture (Altar, Pulpit, Font) for a church a couple of hundred miles away. The drawings they sent me call for about 40-50' of 1/2" brushed nickel inlay. The design is not beyond my skill level, and I'm sure I could handle the inlay....if I knew where to get 1/2" wide brushed nickle.

Do any of you learned and experienced WW's know of a source for such an item? No need to rush, the quote isn't due till Monday :eek: .

Here's the plan for the pulpit to give you an idea of the inlay placement.
St  Matt  Pulpit.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
I've used this place for brass and aluminum and checked to see what they have. They have nickel alloys listed. Not a huge selection but maybe something you could use if you do the 'brushing" yourself.

Thanks Doug. I'll have to go back to the customer on this one. They must have had something else in mind as I feel certain that they had not intended to add what could amount to over $1,000 in 'trim' to this job. I must be misunderstanding their request and am looking for the wrong stuff.

I'd also suspect that they had little idea what they were actually asking for. As Bruce says, all that brushed nickel finish stuff you see in stores is plated and laquered, and much cheaper to make in a factory set up than an actual nickel bar. You might be able to find something that would work for trimming autos or something similar, but its a way long shot. Stainless and scotchbrite sounds like the best option to me.

I’m pretty sure what they are looking for is nickel plated trim, usually nickel plated aluminum channel.

As Bruce says, all that brushed nickel finish stuff you see in stores is plated and lacquered, and much cheaper to make in a factory set up than an actual nickel bar.
Sound advice. They had a woman in the congregation with some AutoCAD skills do the drawings and specs - I've asked for clarification and a source, if she had one in mind. However, my bet is you guys are right and plated something will probably fit the bill.:)

Rethunk

i know you said nickel, but would stainless work as a subsitute?
Heard back from the customer on this - It's the 'look' that's important, not the material. Therefore, they suggested I price aluminum instead - much cheaper I believe.

Now that that's settled, I'll look through the links everyone offered and see what's available in the aluminum market!:thumb: